Astigmatism

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Astigmatism

Postby travellingred » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:20 am

Hello everyone.

I have astigmatism, about 0.50 in each eye. I sometimes get quite bad eye strain and my eyes appear slightly wonky due to the axis of the astigmatism. I know that LASIK can cure astigmatism and make the cornea more round so would this make my eyes look less wonky?

Thanks for any help :)
travellingred

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:25 am

Astigmatism of 0.50 diopters would not be visable even a trained eye doctor without close examination. The "wonky" look of your eyes may be related to something else. Could you describe in more detail what you mean? Can you provide your current eye prescription?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby travellingred » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:35 am

Hi there, I currently live in Japan and have been evaluated fo surgery by three different surgeons, unfotunately none of them speak the greatest English so I am asking alot of questions on this forum.

My prescription a year ago was right eye -1.75 cyl 0.50 axis 20
left eye -1.60 cyl 0.50 axis 120

I have been told by all surgeons that my eyes are in excellent health and my prescription has remained stable.

THe "wonky" look I mentioned isn't severe but sometimes I get bad eye strain and they look a little more wonky than usual. If I look at my eye and pull the lids open I can see that my eyes are a different shape, slightly more curved in one direction than the other, which I believe is a sign of astigmatism? I'm not sure what else it could be?

So if this is the case do you think that LASIK would help by reshaping the cornea to make it more rounded?

Thanks very much for your help :)
travellingred

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:00 pm

Your eye prescription is well within the treatable range for Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. If you are at or past age 40, you may want to reconsider having this small amount of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision corrected. Read Sudden Presbyopia.

Astigmatism involves only the cornea (clear front of the eye over the colored iris) or the crystalline lens within the eye. What you describe is the globe, or the entire eye. I recommend that you try to schedule an examination so you would be under the conditions that cause this anomoly. If the doctor can see it, then hopefully the doctor can diagnose if it is a problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It