3 months update

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

3 months update

Postby Judy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi all, I had my 3-month checkup and I had a bit of improvement. Both eyes are still at +.50 and still have a bit of astigmatism. I do not understand all the numbers but she wrote a script for glasses to correct my mid and far vision and the numbers are +.50 - 1.00X160, and +.50 - 75X015.

I hope Glenn will explain what my numbers actually mean.

She said my astigmatism was a tad better and in general my far vision was a tad better. When she did the vision test I could eeek out a few letters on the 20/25 line and this made her happy. She is hoping I will regress to the 20/25 scenerio and then we can call it a success.

It was not easy reading on the 20/25 line and I felt like the letters were very poor quality for seeing but the Doc seemed happy I guessed some of the letters correctly.

I would say I am a tad better than 20/30 but not much.....ha ha, maybe 20/29.5.

I asked her about mall vision, super store vision which is one of my most difficult areas....and the above glasses she recommended would be good for those types of situations. Of course, I would need glasses for reading too. So I am a tad confused about what to do. That would mean 3 pairs of glasses in my purse on each outing, one for sun, one for the mid/far vision and one for close up. Yikes! She mentioned that low-light places like malls where the lights are artificial can be a problem.

My question for Glenn is, does this situation ever improve?

I am feeling a lot better than I did 3 months ago. My dry eyes have really improved. I still use drops about 3 times a day but I no longer seem to have that horrible dry contact in my eye feeling.

Last night I drove in the dark with realitive comfort. Before surgery when I was myopic I could not drive well at night. The lights about blinded me. The starburts and halos are pretty decent now. I can handle the small amount of it without any problem.

I am happy to report that I can finally sit down and read a book without my eyes aching. Still not totally comfortable, but at least I can read again. I really missed that. I have been reading with 1.75, which is much better than 2.50 I was using after surgery.

All in all, progress forward is being made. We decided to put off making any decision on further correction for 3 more months. The Doc was optimistic that since I had improvement from 2-3 months.....that in 3 more months enough improvement will happen to make the surgery a success.

I told her I was happy to wait till 6 months, because of my older age and from what I read on these boards, I think it takes that long to really see where you will land. The Doc feels that if I need enhancement she will do one eye and see what happens. I am hoping I do not have to even do one eye. It has been so great not having raging dry eye and feeling comfortable in my eyes again that I just don't look forward to starting that process over again. I keep my fingers crossed that I regress a bit further.....and that everyone on this journey is doing well and improving each day.

My one regret......this sudden presbyopia.......it's very difficult to adjust to this loss of near vision. I mention this because for all you older folks, think before you leap.
Judy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

1-month Post op results

Postby dark7angelx07 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi,

Before surgery I was -6.00 in left eye and -6.75 in right eyes with astigmatism.

At my one month post-op. My left eye was +0.75 and right is +1.00 -.75. (Never had + before surgery).

My left eye is great 20/20 and regressed to +.75 from +1.50, but my right eye has been has the +1.00 and -.75 (astigmatism) from day one. My right eyes gets irritated because of the astigmatism. Glenn, Do you think my right eye will get better? My optometrist says it won't but my other doctor who checked if I was able to get lasik said it will get better by 3months, once the hyperopia goes down. Do you think this astigmatism was caused by the lasik or is left over from before.? (My optometrist wrote hyperopic astigmatism on my checkup form.) Does the + mean that they overcorrect you because you will regress from it? I hope you can answer these questions, because the optometrist get annoyed when i ask. He is co-managing me, i'm thinking of changing to different optometrist.

Thanks, please try to answer my questions!
dark7angelx07

Re: 1-month Post op results

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:37 am

dark7angelx07 wrote:Glenn, Do you think my right eye will get better?

I am assuming that you are still one month postop. That is rather early in the healing process. Regression of effect is not usually very high when the myopia is at 6.00 diopters. Your doctor can control to some degree the regression by the measured use of steroid eye drops.

dark7angelx07 wrote:My optometrist says it won't but my other doctor who checked if I was able to get lasik said it will get better by 3months

It is reasonable to experience continued changes in the first 3-6 months.

dark7angelx07 wrote:Do you think this astigmatism was caused by the lasik or is left over from before.?

The astigmatism may be residual that was not corrected, induced by the surgery, caused by corneal edema (inflammation), and/or exacerbated by dry eye. This is why there are so many changes during the first few months after Lasik. All these issues combine and until all are resolved you can have less than excellent vision.

dark7angelx07 wrote: Does the + mean that they overcorrect you because you will regress from it?

A plus sign in front of the first number means that you are hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). A plus or minus in front of the second number indicates which type of prescription was written. For more details read about how to read an eye prescription.

Regression after correction of 6.00 diopters myopia is usually not too great. It may be that the doctor provided deliberate overcorrection to resolve expected regression (which has occurred), or that more tissue was removed than expected.

dark7angelx07 wrote:I hope you can answer these questions...

I don't know if I have really answered your questions, but hopefully I've provided some insight into your concerns. You will know much better where you stand at 3-6 months postop.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dark7angelx07 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:56 pm

Your doctor can control to some degree the regression by the measured use of steroid eye drops.

Hi Glen,

When you say this, does this mean that if i use the steroid eye drops, my eyes can get better?

Regression after correction of 6.00 diopters myopia is usually not too great.

Can you explain this further? Are you taking about the -6.00 /-6.75 prescription? I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you are saying that my eyes won't get weaker?
dark7angelx07

Re: 3 months update

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:09 pm

Judy wrote:...numbers are +.50 - 1.00X160, and +.50 - 75X015.

I hope Glenn will explain what my numbers actually mean.

This means that you are hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) and you have enough astigmatism that you likely have less than excellent vision quality, especially in low light environments. See how to read an eye prescription.

Judy wrote:It was not easy reading on the 20/25 line and I felt like the letters were very poor quality for seeing but the Doc seemed happy I guessed some of the letters correctly.

This is a problem with the Snellen 20/Whatever test. It is black letters that you know well on a white background in a controlled environment. Just because you can guess that there is only one letter that looks like a tee-pee does not mean that you are seeing clearly.

Judy wrote:She mentioned that low-light places like malls where the lights are artificial can be a problem.

This relates to your astigmatism. Regular corneal astigmatism means that your cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. The "tip of the spoon" will focus light off center and out of focus.

When lights are bright and your pupils are small, light passing through the tip is blocked by your iris (colored portion) and does not enter the eye to be "seen". In low light environments and with florescent lighting the pupils become larger and the poorly focused light from the tip enters the eye and mixes with the well focused light, resulting in a reduction of vision quality.

Judy wrote:My question for Glenn is, does this situation ever improve?

Unless there are slow healing problems or dry eye issues, it is likely that at three months postop your vision is becoming stable and this is where our eyes will settle.

A compounding problem is that you are presbyopic (need reading glasses) and hyperopic. The combination of these two can provide poor vision quality at all distances. Glasses help, contacts better, but your doctor will probably want to discuss enhancement surgery sometime between now and six months postop.

Judy wrote:The starburts and halos are pretty decent now. I can handle the small amount of it without any problem.

That's very good news and indicates that your problems are just the refractive error of hyperopia and astigmatism.

Judy wrote:I am happy to report that I can finally sit down and read a book without my eyes aching.

Judy wrote:Lasik eye strain is common for someone who was presbyopic and myopic, then corrected to hyperopic. Read also about sudden presbyopia after Lasik.

Judy wrote:We decided to put off making any decision on further correction for 3 more months.

An excellent idea. You can always do enhancement surgery later.

dark7angelx07 wrote:When you say this, does this mean that if i use the steroid eye drops, my eyes can get better?

During the immediate healing period steroid eye drops are prescribed to control the healing response and inflammation. By adjusting the amount and timing of the steroids it is sometimes possible to adjust the healing enough to compensate for a target not quite reached with the laser.

After the initial healing response steroid use is not as effective at changing long-term refractive error.

Lasik regressionnormally occurs only when the correction is for myopia more than 6.00 diopters (see your preop eye prescription) or just about all hyperopia correction. Regression is always possible at all corrections, but is much less likely.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago