Finding a top-notch surgeon?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Finding a top-notch surgeon?

Postby mtoy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:32 am

I've worn glasses/contacts since 4th grade, and contacts (both hard & soft) as a teen and young adult. Eventually my astigmatism worsened and contacts just didn't work anymore. I'm now 44, and have been thinking about Lasik for the past few years.

My numbers are:
OD -5.50sphere +2.50cyl 95axis +1.50add
OS -5.00sphere +1.75cyl 75axis +1.50add

Friday I had an eye exam and Lasik consult (if you could call it that) with a well known doctor in the area. He was named "ophthalmologist of the year" by a local glitzy magazine in 2004. The exam was rushed, there was no glaucoma test (for the regular annual eye exam part) and really nothing special as far as Lasik goes - no pupil measurements, nothing about corneal thickness, nothing. He said I looked like a good candidate and told me the cost. At that time I had done no research about what to ask - that has changed now. Needless to say I was NOT impressed and will not return there.

I don't know who to go to. There are no USA Eyes docs in my area. I don't know many people in this area and don't know anyone who has had this surgery. I only want to do this if I am sure that the doctor is indeed top-notch, but how do I find this doctor? I'm in the northern suburbs of Detroit, I know there are good doctors here.
mtoy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:38 am

It sounds more like a Lasik screening to determine if you may be a candidate than a comprehensive evaluation. These types of screenings are often provided for free. After you commit to having surgery the real examination begins.

You may want to use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to help evaluate a potential surgeon. We do not allow doctor or clinic names in our forum, but you have provided your email in your Profile, so people can make recommendations directly.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mtoy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:49 am

Today I saw another doctor. This was also considered a free screening exam. It was the most comprehensive eye exam I have ever received. The doctor was wonderful, patient, knowledgeable and performed many of the tests himself. The result? My corneas are too thin for Lasik, although I do qualify for Lasek. But my eyes are also borderline dry. Personally I don't feel confident with this so I'm not going ahead with it right now. Hopefully there will be more options for people like me in the future.
mtoy

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Work with the doctor you found who you like to treat the dry eye. Once the dry eye is resolved or managed, revisit the idea of refractive surgery. You may want to read our articles about LASEK Dry Eye and Dry Eye Treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It