Old(er) Ted after 8 months - EYE DROP CONCERNS

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Old(er) Ted after 8 months - EYE DROP CONCERNS

Postby Ted61 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:27 pm

It's been 8 months since I had my surgery and things are pretty good. I can go for most of the day without eye drops which leads me to my question. Is it possible to depend on eye drops when they're really not needed. I actually forgot to put them in my eyes about a week ago and really felt good until evening without them. I had been using them maybe 5X per day. By using eye drops, are we stifling the body's tear production? They feel great when I put them in - but, do I really need them?? Do I do any harm by not using them?? Dumb questions, I guess.
Ted61

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:41 pm

The body does respond to a perceived need. If natural tears are not needed because you are applying artificial tears, then natural tears are not likely going to be produced. The harm you would cause by not using artificial tears would be damage caused by dry eye.

Your natural tear quality and quantity can be evaluated by your doctor to help determine if you require artificial tears.

Be sure you are using preservative-free artificial tears in single use vials. The preservatives in some artificial tears can be problematic, causing irritation and slowing wound recovery. See Artificial Tears.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ted61 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:37 pm

I still use what the doctor recommended; i.e., Refresh in the little vials - preservative free. Up until a week ago, I had used a drop in each eye when I first awoke in the morning. However, I was on a 4 day trip with a friend (motorcycling through the Ozarks in Arkansas), got out of my routine, and didn't realize until I was on the bike that I had forgotten them. The old routine was to do drops 4X per day, morning, noon, dinner, and in the evening while watching TV. I am now trying to limit myself to one drop in each eye at noon and, one drop in the evening, if I feel the need. I suppose I should contact the doctor and see if he can determine whether or not I need them. How in the world do they do that? Thanks for your help, btw. It is appreciated. Other than the drop questions, my healing has gone very well although quite slowly.
Ted61

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:32 am

If you wear motorcycle riding goggles that fit close to the eye and "seal", then you likely kept the moisture in. BTW, I ride a Triumph Thunderbird.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ted61 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:23 am

I actually wear a full face helmet - no vapor barrier for the eyes. I guess I probably blink a lot though. :-) GL1800 Goldwing, here.
Ted61

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:44 am

My guess is that your tearing function has returned to normal and/or the frequent blinking while you were riding did a great job keeping your eyes hydrated.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ted61 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:24 am

I also wonder whether I'm a little spoiled by how good the drops feel and may like them simply because they feel great! LOL (addiction knows no limits)
Ted61

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:54 am

It's a sad familar story. Starting out on Refresh because "everybody's doing it" and the next thing you know you're strung out on Systane.

I'm just kidding folks. Just kidding.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago