Total Panic About Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Total Panic About Lasik

Postby GraceB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:24 pm

I've worn glasses since third grade, am 55 years old and in good health. My prescription has probably not changed in 3 years and I do not need reading glasses.

My husband had Lasik about 4 years ago and is thrilled with it and wishes he had gotten it sooner. He does,however, still have to wear reading glasses just like he did before.

I'm a total coward about anything - high anxiety - pain phobic. I take medication just to get any dental procedure done. I really want to be done with glasses. I had Lasik consult - they said I was a good candidate but would have to wear reading glasses afterwards - which I don't wear now unless I have my contacts in.

I'm not happy about the idea of going through surgery to NOT have to wear glasses only to then have to wear them to read. I am totally convinced that one little valium is not going to keep me in the chair cooperative to complete the procedure.

Crystalens has been mentioned to me by my sister. She advises that more sedation is provided and if I don't need reading glasses before the implant I wouldn't need them afterwards. Sounds like the good deal to me!

Any input - pros and cons - ideas? Thanks, GraceB (newbie)
GraceB

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:00 am

It's simple: don't do it.

You readily admit that you have difficulty handling adversity. What if your vision is not perfect after Lasik? Can you deal with that? It is a real (albeit remote) possibility. You have been told by your doctor that you will need reading glasses. You say you don't like this when you are wearing contacts. Why have surgery to get rid of glasses if you will not be getting rid of glasses?

Lasik is not for everybody and this seems a perfect instance where it is not appropriate for you for reasons that have little to do with the physiology of your eyes. If everything goes great I’m sure you would be fine, but if something is less than excellent it looks like you would have a very difficult time dealing with it.

Before you jump from the Lasik pan into the Crystalens fire, read our article about Crystalens and search this website for what others have had to say.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GraceB » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Thank you so much for you input and information. You are so right - why do something that will leave me wearing glasses for something that I don't wear them for now --- and why attempt something that I already know I need way more medication for than they are willing or able to give.

Mono-vision correction was a Lasik option offered to me. Just doing Lasik on one eye and obviously using one eye for distance and one for up close. I'm wondering is this would also be an option with Crystal lens and if anyone has any experience with this. My prescription is exactly the same in both eyes.

Also I'm sure no one knows specifics because it is location and doctor specific - but any ballpark estimates on the difference in pricing between Lasik and Crystal lens? GraceB
GraceB

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:01 pm

As a general rule Crystalens will be more expensive than Lasik. A Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) and is a much more invasive than Lasik and generally does not have as predictable of an outcome.

Monovision may work for you, but you want to try it with contact lenses before you have it lasered or implanted in your eyes. About 2/3rds of people who try monovision like it, but that means 1/3rd do not, plus all those who don't even try because they know just by its concept that they would not want monovision.

No matter what the alternative the basic concern still applies. This is elective surgery and there are no guarantees of outcome. If you are not able to handle adversity well, then anything less than an excellent result may be much more problematic for you.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:54 am

Hi GraceB, I have the same problem as you. I can't go to the dentist without taking a couple of sedatives and even then I am still anxious! I'm just curious if you got the procedure done or if you are still planning to.
tootsieroll

Return to Thinking About It