One or the other?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

One or the other?

Postby cherpel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:16 am

Hi GraceB,
This is my first post. I'm compelled to respond to your post because I'm sharing your sentiments. I have just started looking into traditional and custom lasik as an option to correct my vision. (I'm headed to Costa Rica in Feb 2008 for four months and my husband suggested having this done so I don't miss out on anything..we also have to use up his flex spending). Today was my initial consultation where I was told that I'm an ideal candidate. Good cornea shape and depth. My vision up close is great, it's distance that's always been the problem 20/50.

During this consultation I was told (should I have lasik) that by age 40 I will need to wear reading glasses. This was quite a blow, as I had not considered this. I've dealt with the fact that distances are blurry and I deal with that by taking a closer look (always keeping glasses in my car etc). I see people who can't look closely at something and see clearly and I feel that would be very difficult to adapt to. (As inconvenient as I believe glasses and contacts are, I would believe reading glasses would be even more inconvenient). I'm 26yrs. old and I know I have years to go, however I am looking to the future and it doesn't seem to make sense to have a "permanent procedure" done that will require you to need reading glasses. The dr and lasik coordinator seemed to make very light of it. 'Well, you'll need reading glasses at 50yrs anyhow'. ....'Well, if I'm going to need them at 50 than I'd like to wait to then to have to wear them'.

Is it fair to say that by improving my distance vision I could be compromising my close up vision???

Did you ever come to a conclusion on this Grace?

My husband feels that by the time I'm 40 there will be another procedure to correct this. However who knows for sure what will be available!?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I went from being eager for this procedure to not so sure that I want to do it.... Help! (please)

Thanks,
Cheryl
cherpel

Postby cherpel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:04 pm

I see that I posted my own thread rather than replying to Grace's 'Total panic about lasik'(oopps). My questions are really open for anyone's opinion.
Thanks,
Cheryl
cherpel

Return to Thinking About It