3 Month's Today

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

3 Month's Today

Postby firemom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:38 pm

Well after going in for enhancement, which by the was was cancelled due to vision changing 3 times in an hour. I went back in for a recheck as requested by the Dr. Seems I have some type of inflimation under my eyelid. He gave me some type of RX drop to use for 7 days. However this day they were not buisy, the nurse really took a lot of time and pushed me to strain and read as much as I could with the left eye (which on last 2 visits were 20/40 w/ 1 of astg left) The head Dr still wanted to do an enhancement, however this day he was not there and I saw his assistant. He after seeing that I had strained and could see 20/25 with the R eye and was 20/20 using both strongly discouraged any enhancement. Its a little tough to get used to since I was used to seeing 20/20 in glasses and contacts. We are still doing restesses, drops, hydro-eye, and flaxseed oil. Hopefully something will help the dry eye! My question, he said the inflimation under my eyelid looked like hamburger meat. Could this be causing some of the dry eye? Second question, I'm been doing restesses, hydro-eye and flaxseed now for two month's. Approx how long before some of this helps. Also after reading some of the other post, how often should I use drops, if this could just become a habit? Last question, and your probably thinking thats enough Is there a possibility that if with straning my R eye I got to 20/25. that there is a chance I may get it there with out taking 15 min. to read the chart? Thanks for all your help this has been a great help for me, especially after reading all the times you have stated at least 6 month's before an enhancement, I wasted no time cancelling the appt that I was to have an enhancement this Wednesday!!!!!! Guess I'm just hoping and praying for that 20/25 back in the R eye.

Thanks Firemom

Thanks Fi
firemom

Postby rosecmd » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:23 pm

Firemom, sorry for your situation! I am also 4 months and was overcorrected into farsightedness a bit (~.75-1 dioptor). The BESt thing I have found for my dry eye I discovered a few weeks ago. What I do is is use warm, dry compresses on my closed eyes for 10 minutes each day. I use a neck wrap that I got from discovery.com, heat it up in the microwave for 1 min 45 seconds and lay it over my eyes while lying down for 10 minutes. It's really small cloth bags filled with rice and then encased in a terry cloth wrap. It's the best thing I found to get a consistent heat source on my eyes. I believe that the heat loosens up the oil in the 23 or so little oil glands that line your eyelids. With all the drops we put in our eyes, it's no wonder they can get clogged up. Within 2 days, I had no more eye pain (my left eye was the worst), and my eyes felt moist for quite a while after the treatment.

In addition, I found a great dry eye web site, and also learned that some people are sensitive to the hydromethocelluose in certain drops, including Refresh Plus, which I was using a lot. So I switched to plain Refresh drops and also I use another kind of Refresh drops (the Endura formula, but in the bigger bottle.) My eyes did feel better, I did not realize they had been itchy.

I also started using Alrex drops, prescribed by my doctor - these are a mild steroid drop and maybe they are helping too.

Here is that great dry eye website:

http://www.dryeyepain.com/index.htm

This is the neck wrap I use on my eyes, but it looks like it's not available any more. You could make one with rice in clean socks, maybe:

http://www.amazon.com/Do-Not-Disturb-Re ... B0009S8HG2

Good luck, try the warm compresses (not hot compresses)...

Rose
rosecmd

Postby firemom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Rose, thanks for the advise. I'll try those things. Did your vision improve with the dry eye getting somewhat resolved?
firemom

Postby rosecmd » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Yes, my vision is clearer with the dry eye resolving. I can tell because my vision is not blurred in the morning anymore, and also, my mid-range vision indoors is improved. I will still need an enhancement to correct the induced hyperopia -- then I will just be left with my natural presbyopia, which I expected.
rosecmd

Postby firemom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:58 pm

Thanks so much for the info, my vision was 20/25 both eyes day after surgery then within 2 weeks left remained same but I am 20/40 in the right. Just enough to make things seem a little off balance. I purchased some of the refresh endura, will try that could not find plain refresh tears. I'm thinking of stopping the restesses for a few days to see if some of the irritation will go away.

I cancelled my appt for enhancement, I got scared. One said do it the other said he would not. I go to one of the best, so not sure which one of them I should listen to.

But thanks again for your encouragement, I really needed it. Some day's I just wish I could put contacts or glasses back on and have 20/20 both eyes. But I knew from the start that I would not be 20/20, I was very happy with 20/25, if I could only get that back. Just getting depressed I guess. If you have any other idea's, please feel free to let me know.
firemom

Postby rosecmd » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 pm

I hope you feel better soon, it is so discouraging. Did you get a pair of glasses to wear so you at least see better?

The Endura in the individual single use things can get expensive, the bottle of Refresh Dry Eye Terapy is the exact same ingredients, excpet that it has the preservative that disappears on contact, or whatever it's supposed to do. The plain Refresh drops I've only found in the individual use things also. I keep them in a clean baggie and find I can use them three times. I discard opened ones after one day.

Did you try the warm compresses? Let me know how that goes if you decide to do it. I do think that plain white rice in the clean sock (tied off with a rubber band maybe) - about the size of a tennis ball - heated up in a microwave (carefully so not too hot) would do the trick. The site I got this idea from recommended 10 minutes, twice a day. They even reported on a clinical trial where the participants had a very high success rate with this really helping their dry eye.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
rosecmd

Postby firemom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:32 am

Hi, Thanks for the info. I got the Refresh Endura last evening, took a new white sock, and put rice in it and stitched it up. Waited until bed time used my restasis, and put the rice on my eyes. When I first took it off they seemed kinda dry, but I did not put any more tears in. This AM first thing I used the restasis, and the rice pack, and today they have felt a little better. Only thing when I was leaving for work, I thought I was grabbing the new tears, and I got the refresh plus, so had to use them a couple of times at work. After doing that, I now really think that the refresh plus is what is causing some of the irritation I am feeling in the bottom and top of my eye lids, because I did not have that sensation until I used it. When I got home I did the new tears. Hey as much as I have $ as I have put in tears, it the new ones will work, I'll get them. My surgon gave me this cool little blue thing that when you open one of those little viles, replace the top and then just sit it down in the little holder. It's neat. Also like your doing he said discard at the end of the day. He gave me one so I could use the restasis 2 times before discarding but he said cover the top of it with foil. Using both eyes, I'm 20/20, so I did not get glasses, and the surgon said he did not see a need to. Since the right eye is 20/40 I ask him if I would have any trouble getting my license and he said no. He said if they gave me a problem call him and he would fill out a form for them, that when they check the eyes they are doing one at the time and I use both to drive. I guess when I get a little off balance feeling, it's because I catch myself closing the good eye just to see if the right one has gotten better. Just praying for a mirical, that with getting the dry eye a little better that just hopefully the vision will get better. Hey if it was 20/25 for several weeks after surgery, I guess I kinda have hope that its the dry eye. In a way I feel that the Assistant Surgon must think that it may get some better, because he said he had the same problem and begged the surgon that did mine to do an enhancement on him and he was 20/80 at the time, and he said no give it time. He said after about 8 month's and getting flaxseed and vitimans on board, he is now 20/20. That's what I'm hoping for. But thanks so much for responding to my post, I was really getting down. I know even with the problem's I'm having, I should be and am very thankful that I am no longer in glasses. I could not even see the clock beside the bed, TV, and no way could I drive a car. That would have been a disaster. How often can you use the refresh endura, I was reading on one web page, that was speaking to trying to use only two times per day. Do you just use it when your eyes feel dry. I saw somewhere else that sometimes using to many tears can confuse your eyes and they don't produce as many? Don't remember where I saw that I have searched so much.
firemom

Return to Had It A While Ago