Farsighted with astigmatism experiences

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Farsighted with astigmatism experiences

Postby damaged58 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:09 am

I am considering Lasik and was curious of other peoples experiences with Lasik when farsighted with astigmatism good, bad, or otherwise.
damaged58

What is your script?

Postby Mack » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:25 am

Lasik correction for moderate hyperopia with moderate astigmatism is getting better. I survived it with decent results from +5 and -1.5 astig. Many docs hesitate doing scripts over +4 net effective refractive error if the patient expects to see as well as they did with correction in all aspects. Depending on your script, the biggest downside risk is you may not get a quality 20/20 after lasik, even with enhancements and even with minor correction. In other words, you may lose a line of BCVA. (best corrected visual acuity) And you may suffer other side effects like dry eye, degraded contrast senstivity and reduced acuity in low light conditions, usually caused by minor induced astigmatism that cannot be fully resolved. H-lasik for under +3 usually produces good results nowadays in the hands of an experienced doc. Above that gets more risky, but if you do not expect perfection, you will probably be satisfied with your results.
Mack

Postby firemom » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:42 pm

I had 20/400 vision in right eye wiht more than 5 of astig, because Dr said he could probably not get all. The left was not as bad. I had the surgery in July of 2007, the day after surgery I was 20/25 in both eyes. The left eye has remained the same. The right eye has regressed to 20/40 at just a quick look at the eye chart, however if I sit there and strain a little I can read the 20/25 line. I have had lots of problems with dry eyes, and it takes a lot of patients. I have to admit I was a little well a lot sad when I regressed in the right eye, but its not worth having an enhancement for, and I am free of glasses. Before surgery, there would be no way I could drive. I could not even tell who people were across the room with out glasses. Now that I can see, there is no telling what my eye make up was looking like. LOL Like the other post, if you do not have to have perfect, I am happy. 20/20 using both eyes.
firemom

Return to Had It A While Ago