Valium and Lasik...

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Valium and Lasik...

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:36 am

I have a consultation coming up but I just can't wait to have some of my questions answered. I can't believe I am planning to get this done because I am someone who deals with panic attacks on a daily basis. In order for me to do it i think I would have to be drugged up on valium. I just want to know, does the valium work to the point where I feel carefree or does it make you feel stoned? haha My panic attacks usually occur under stressful periods and during these periods I have irrational thoughts. I have an image of myself under all that machinery and all of a sudden I freak out and I want them to stop the procedure. I think I will be fine as long as the valium works and the doctors are understanding and will let me take a breather if need be. This anticipation is killing me! I also have high astigmatism and worried whether or not I will qualify for lasik. My pres. is Sp -4.00 CYL -2.75 AXIS 007
Sp -5.00 CYL -3.00 AXIS 170

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
tootsieroll

Panic attacks

Postby agent99bm » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:01 pm

As a longtime sufferer of panic attacks and also being scheduled for laser surgery on November 29, I can tell you that I was given a prescription for Valium to use prior to the surgery. This is not because of my panic attacks...it is a matter of procedure. I'm sure the doctor wants you as calm as possible. I currently take a medication for my panic attacks that really works well. Are you taking anything for your panic attacks?

When you have your consultation, be sure to mention to the doctor that you have panic attacks. I'm sure they will work with you to make it as comfortable as possible.
agent99bm

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks for the reply! I take 10 mg C*elexa and the occasional A*tivan when I really need it. Do you think Valium would work better than A*tivan? What do you take for the panic attacks? And did you mention you had panic attacks? How did they react? Thanks.
tootsieroll

Postby agent99bm » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:44 pm

I did not mention that I have panic attacks because my attacks are under control. I gave them a list of my medications and any good doctor will know that L*xapro is used for anxiety. I've never used A*tivan and cannot comment about whether one is better than the other. I just know what works for me. I've suffered from panic attacks for almost 40 years. However, for the last 25, I've been seeing an excellent doctor who helped me find the right medication for me. In fact, my panic attacks are not even a consideration when deciding on laser surgery.

Discuss all of this with the doctor doing your consultation. If they are not understanding, find another doctor. In fact, you might want to get another consultation just for comparison.

I wish you well with both your consultation and your panic disorder. You might want to read a book by Dr. Abbot Granoff about panic attacks. You can find it on amazon.com.

Barbara
agent99bm

Postby tootsieroll » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:51 am

Well I went to my consultation and was a little disappointed. I was told that my cornea was too thin for lasik..so my only options are PRK or ICL. I was really looking forward to lasik and its better healing time, but I guess i'm out of luck. I didn't get any of the information they got from my eye exams but my cornea thickness was around 400. 400 what? I wouldn't know. But its way below the average 550. I'm a little nervous about prk...sounds so invasive?
tootsieroll

Postby agent99bm » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:15 am

Sorry your consultation was disappointing. Before you discount PRK, research a bit more. The procedure I will be getting on Nov. 29 is called SupraLase but is a surface procedure a lot like PRK.

What did they say about your panic attacks? Were they willing to work with you?
agent99bm

Postby lvziggy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:08 pm

T - PRK is actually LESS invasive than Lasik. It just has a little more pain and healing time. I had PRK and I'm glad I went that route rather than Lasik. I was told the same thing, that my corneas were too thin for lasik. It took me 8 months of research before I was comfortable with the idea of PRK, but I'm glad I did it.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby tootsieroll » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:00 pm

I'm glad to hear you are happy with your PRK, lvziggy. I am doing a lot of research and reading a lot of forums until I am comfortable with it. As for your question agent99, they have worked with people who had panic attacks and they had no problem with that, and they will also allow my boyfriend in the surgery room to hold my hand! How perfect is that?
tootsieroll

Postby tootsieroll » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Also forgot to add I am getting it done with the Lasitome. Anyone have theirs done with that or heard of it. Thanks.
tootsieroll

Postby agent99bm » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:30 am

Can't ask for anymore than that, tootsieroll. Let us all know what you decide.

I went for my eye exam today to prepare for the surgery a week from Thurday. All went well and I'm ready to go.

Barbara
agent99bm

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:57 am

agent99bm wrote:Can't ask for anymore than that, tootsieroll. Let us all know what you decide.

I went for my eye exam today to prepare for the surgery a week from Thurday. All went well and I'm ready to go.

Barbara

I wish you the best of luck! Let us know how it goes when you get back..
tootsieroll

Return to Thinking About It