Should I/Shouldn't I?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Should I/Shouldn't I?

Postby bangbang » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:44 am

I have read the past 3 months posts on this forum and found them incredibly helpful. You guys are doing a great job here!

I am considering LASIK surgery to correct Myopia. Here are my details:

* Male, 30
* -7.25 D in both eyes, 0.50 Cylinder in one eye, stable for the past 5 years
* Cornea thickness 525 and 521 microns
* Wearing soft contact lenses for 9 years, glasses prior to that
* Have pretty bad allergy at certain times of the year, which causes inflammation and dryness in the eyes

The doctor said I am an ideal candidate for laser surgery, but I am concerned about my allergy and high myopia. I would appreciate any feedback on my suitability for laser surgery, and whether my allergy is likely to be aggravated because of the surgery.

Thanks in advance!
bangbang

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 am

There are a few concerns for people with high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision.

Exect regression. When more than about 6.00 diopters of correction is attempted the cornea tends to regress back toward the original refractive error. Regression from 0.50 to 1.50 diopter could occur.

Your doctor may deliberately overcorrect you into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision and plan for regression to bring you back to the desired target, or correct you to plano (no refractive error), allow you to regress, and then do enhancement surgery to resolve the regression.

Ask your doctor about the curvature of your cornea and how flat it will be after surgery and probable enhancement surgery. All laser vision correction surgery corrects myopia by flattening the center o fthe cornea. If you start with a cornea that is already flat, too much flattening can reduce vision quality.

Be sure to review our article about wavefront custom Lasik.

Please read about Lasik and pupil size issues and discuss concerns with your doctor.

Even with a thin flap you will be getting close to the 250 micron untouched cornea minimum - especially if you elect to have wavefront-guided ablation. Remember to calculate the amount of tissue needed for enhancement surgery too. The doctor can calculate the exact amount of tissue removal and targeted flap size before surgery and discuss this with you. You may want to consider a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. The surface ablation techniques have their own set of advantages and disadvantages, but should be considered.

Lasik tends to induce dry eye symptoms, especially in the first few weeks-months of healing. You don't want to have Lasik just before allergy season.

Allergy medications tend to dehydrate the cornea. This is very important because the laser removes more tissue per pulse with a dehydrated cornea. Your surgeon can adjust for this variable if it is known in advance.

You will want to read our recommendations about how long to be out of contact lenses before Lasik.

If you have been following this website you know that we never tell someone to have Lasik. That is not our place. We will endeavor to give you the information so you can make your own decision.

Most importantly! Choose your [url=http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/doctor/locate-lasik-doctor.htmLasik doctor[/url]well and/or use our [url=http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-tough-questions.htm]50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor[/url] to evaluate a potential surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It