Regressing after enhancements

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Regressing after enhancements

Postby Bonnie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:20 pm

I have my initial wavefront lasik surgery in March, 2007. I don't know my exact perscription but it was around -9 in my left eye and -9.25 in my right.

After the initial surgery, I was:

+1.00, +.25, 95
+.75, +.50, 110

As you can see I was overcorrected. My Dr. explained he did not overcorrect on purpose. I chose to have an enhancement 6 months out in Sept, 2007. I had great vision in my right eye as soon as the surgery was complete. The left eye was not as clear and I had a headache for 2 -3 weeks in this left eye.

8 weeks since enhancement surgery and my perscription is now reading:

+.50, sph
+.75, +.25, 110

I currently am reading the 20/20 line in my right eye, and the 20/30 line in my left though there is some blurriness.

Has anybody experienced this? Is there any chance my vision will improve to where it was shortly after enhancement surgery?

I have found this site very helpful.....I only wish I would have found it before I had surgery.
Bonnie

Postby bathory313 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:36 am

I wonder this myself..........after 5 months I've settled to nearly where I was the day after surgery; around 20/30. It has been an aggravating ride, but it was much easier considering I knew what to expect. I've not had enhancement, and the way the doc is talking they don't really think the issue is any leftover prescription but still a bit of dry eye.
bathory313

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:26 am

Bonnie,

I am amazed that you have not regressed more. Regression of at least 1.00 diopter would be a reasonable expectation after correcting 9.00 diopters of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision.

Something you did not say was your age. It seems likely that your eyes are trying to "focus around" your hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision. This makes sense if you are at or under 40, and would explain your Lasik eye strain headache symptoms.

I believe that a cycloplegic refraction would be very informative. A refraction is the "Which is better, one or two?" process. A cycloplegic refraction is that same process with your natual crystilline lens within the eye paralyzed so you cannot change focus. I suspect your prescription give above is from a manifest refraction - with eyes focusing.

Dry eye absolutely can reduce the quality of your vision. You may want to read our article about Lasik dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago