Post Lasik Dizziness - HELP!

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Post Lasik Dizziness - HELP!

Postby Gerry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:36 pm

I came across this article from this site which I cut and pasted below. This is exactly my problem specifically the constant dizziness which has been on-going the past 2 years.

A little background on me, prior to lasik was - 625ish both eyes. Had initial lasik early 2001 which regressed to 20/50ish. How I wish I had left it at that! Towards the end of 2001, I had the enhancement and immediately though I was over-corrected. The dizziness kinda subsided but distance objects always felt "too up close," which I understand now is balance and convergence problems. Two years ago, while sitting down I developed sudden presbyopia which causes the dizziness and headaches. I triled +1.5 contacts lenses, progressive and computer glassess, none seem to work. Since the past 2 years, I have been flying all over California trying to find a lasik surgeon to bring me back to 20/50ish and I would use glasses for drving, etc however all surgeons have told me I do not have enought issue for ther lasik.

A surgeon in So. Californis did tel me I can undergo PRK. I would like to hear from anyone in the same situation. Specifically, anyone with experience of having lasik followed by PRK. If the glasses, contacts to make me myopic does not seem to help, do you believe PRK would at least resolve the balance and convergence problems and get rid of the dizziness. As for now, I have only seen one PRK surgeon and scheduled to see a PRK surgeon Dec 4 in No California.

The article says with enough time my brain and eyes would adjust. However, I'm it will be a little over 2 years and I do not seem to adjusts. In fact, 3 days ago was really bad as far as the dizziness. I work on computers the whole day and use my computer glasses just to be able to read.

By the way, not one surgeon every mention I have balance and covergence problems. But then again, I really had a difficult time expressing myself. I plan to bring a copy of the article below to my appt on Dec. 4.

Maybe I need more than 2 years for my brain and eyes to adjust? If anyone has similiar problems, I would really appreciate hearing from you. For the immediate, is there anything else I could do to resolve this awful dizziness? Also, if anyone has recommendations for PRK surgeons in No. California or even out of state that specializes with my condition, I would appreciate their names and if possible the website or phone number.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had lasik followed by PRK and if this is even possible.

I know this is long and appreciate your time. Thanks to all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Rather than duplicating an article here, a link to the article is above. Articles are edited as information changes and it is much easier to manage a single article with many links, than many articles throughout the website.
Gerry

Re: Post Lasik Dizziness - HELP!

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:20 am

Gerry wrote:A surgeon in So. Californis did tel me I can undergo PRK.

PRK on the Lasik flap is becoming more popular and can be an appropriate method of enhancement surgery. Much depends upon the size and thickness of Lasik flap.

Gerry wrote:If the glasses, contacts to make me myopic does not seem to help, do you believe PRK would at least resolve the balance and convergence problems and get rid of the dizziness.

As a general rule you should not expect more from vision correction surgery than you get with contacts, and there are no guarantees that you will get that. There may be some advantages if you are hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) and becoming presbyopic. You need to discuss this in detail with your surgeon.

Remember that hyperopic laser surgery is much more challenging than myopic surgery.

Gerry wrote:By the way, not one surgeon every mention I have balance and covergence problems.

You may find that a respected optometrist will have more practical knowledge with balance and convergence issues than an ophthalmologist, especially someone who does primarily Lasik. Seek someone who specializes in strabismus and similar alignment problems.

Gerry wrote:Maybe I need more than 2 years for my brain and eyes to adjust?

Two years and +1.50 glasses indicate you have a refractive error problem that your brain is not likely to "think around".
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago