Epi-Lasik slow to recover...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Epi-Lasik slow to recover...

Postby LK » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:47 am

I just had Epi-Lasik done in my left eye to make it farsighted. (My right eye is 20/40 and would be used for nearsighted activities.) I had the surgery 14 days ago and my left eye is extremely blurry. If I close my right eye, everything is extremely blurry. The cornea has not smoothed out in the on the left central side of the cornea. My physician does not know why it is not "smoothing out". He told me almost all patients are seeing better than I am at this time and he does not know why my healing is taking longer and is hoping it will still continue. I am not seeing him for another 4 weeks. I have improved since last week's visit, but not to the extent that is considered normal.

I want to know if anyone else has had this issue and still seen a considerable improvement or should I be prepared to have to do something else in 6 months? I am just praying this is going to get back on track and that I am just a late-bloomer, possibly because I have not been sleeping enough and have been using my computer an excessive amount these past 11 days (which is why my husband thinks I am not progressing properly - but the physician said I could use my computer if I wanted to).
I look forward to hearing something from someone.
Thanks,
LK
LK

Postby allyklima » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:17 am

Hi LK,
I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. My vision was -6 and -7 with almost no astigmatism. When I went for first check up they said that my right eye is slow to recover but that was all. With my left one I can see clearly, but right one is still blurry. I went to see my old doctor and they checked and said that left one is okay, but right one has +1.5 and astigm. -3.5 (i had -0.25) and that's the reason why I don't see clearly. I don't know what happened and I'm kind of stressed cause it's already one week and I see the same on my right eye, no progress. So far nobody here could answer me or at least to make me feel less nervous. I do have another one months check up next week, but i'm thinking to go earlier...
allyklima

Epi-Lasik - still slow progress...

Postby LK » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks so much for responding to my email when you are going through the same ordeal. Will anyone that has a medical background be reading these replies to just give us some options or thoughts? I really hope I see a change soon. Has anyone improved after being in the situation the two of us are in more following 2 weeks of Surgery?

LK
LK

Postby MarkD » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:44 pm

LK - My PRK story sounds very much the same. I had one spot on the surface that would not smooth out. The doctor even "roughed" it up at one point to see if he could get it to re-heal. The spot that wasn't healing was dead-center of my vision. So my vision was basically unusable for 3 long weeks. At the 3 week point, my doctor put some plugs in to keep the eye from drying out. Not sure if that was the magic trick or not, but my vision got much better. I'm seeing about 20/25 maybe 20/20 out of my PRK eye right now. So, don't get discouraged, and keep using artificial tears all the time.

Good luck.

Mark
MarkD

Postby LK » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:55 pm

Dear Mark,

Thanks so much for responding to me. I took some of the information you told me about and emailed it to my surgeon to see if it is an option for me. I just wish I knew more. I am really frustrated because I work for the medical field and cannot figure out why this is such a mystery of sorts and I still do not know all of my options if this does not self-correct. Are the epilthelium cells dead, do they regenerate naturally, is the area too thin to work with now, and how long will I have to wait to have this corrected? These are the question constantly running through my mind.

Thanks again for your good news. It does make my day brighter!
Take care,
LK
LK

Postby LK » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:51 am

Hey Mark,

Did they ever take the ducts out of your eyes? I am going on Friday to my surgeon for him to put them in my eyes. He says he does not know if they will help, but it is worth a try. He hopes I will be comfortable with them in and says there is no risk to try this. I still cannot see anything but blurr out of my left eye, near or far away. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and I am so praying this will change. How did your surgeon "rough it up" a bit? Did he put something on the cornea and move it around or something? Maybe my physician should do this or should have done this, but my area of "roughness" may be too large....

I am still waiting to hear how Allyklima is doing after the one month appointment with the doctor.

Take care,
LK
LK

Postby MarkD » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:09 pm

LK - I believe the plugs become permanent. I don't even know mine are in there. You can't see them and you can't feel them. (Well you might feel that something is strange for about the first 24 hours, but thats about it)

As for roughing up the area, the doctor initially used some tweezers. As horrible as that sounds, you can't see the tweezers because they are too close to your eye, and they use numbing drops. It was no big deal. The doctor was planning to do a "SuperK" procedure which involved a sponge to essentially repeat the PRK step of removing cells in/around the area that was not healing. This procedure became unnecessary as my eye improved significantly without it.

Overall, be careful in reading too much into my experience. While it sounds similar to yours, we probably have very different root causes. So treatment for your case could be very different than mine. For example, I was on an injectable drug called Enbrel at the time of my surgery. Its likely that Enbrel inhibited my bodies ability to heal correctly. Although not typically identified as a side effect of the drug, it is one possible reason I had trouble healing.

For anyone else out there contemplating LASIK vs PRK - one thing to keep in mind is that the majority of healing that needs to occur for PRK is right in the center of your vision. So if you heal badly, your surgery can have a very negative result. Most of the healing for LASIK occurs outside your field of vision. So if my slow healing response happens with LASIK, its not that big a deal. With PRK it could be very bad.

Good Luck!

Mark
MarkD

Re: ENBREL + PRK / LASIK

Postby leeah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi MarkD,

how are you? I am planning to have PRK on Aug 20 2009. On friday, The TLC staffs told me that they are afraid of offer me surgery because I am on Enbrel. I really want my vision corrected so that I dont need to wear glasses.

I have been on Enbrel for psoriasis almost 3 months. I don;t feel any problems with Enbrel. How long have you been on Enbrel. Were you off Enbrel for awhile pre -postoperation for your left eye?

how is your vision doing so far?
Do you still have Divot on right eye?
do you have scar on your left eye after Lasik?

please contact me at alice.t.lee@gmail.com

thanks

Alice
MarkD wrote:LK - I believe the plugs become permanent. I don't even know mine are in there. You can't see them and you can't feel them. (Well you might feel that something is strange for about the first 24 hours, but thats about it)

As for roughing up the area, the doctor initially used some tweezers. As horrible as that sounds, you can't see the tweezers because they are too close to your eye, and they use numbing drops. It was no big deal. The doctor was planning to do a "SuperK" procedure which involved a sponge to essentially repeat the PRK step of removing cells in/around the area that was not healing. This procedure became unnecessary as my eye improved significantly without it.

Overall, be careful in reading too much into my experience. While it sounds similar to yours, we probably have very different root causes. So treatment for your case could be very different than mine. For example, I was on an injectable drug called Enbrel at the time of my surgery. Its likely that Enbrel inhibited my bodies ability to heal correctly. Although not typically identified as a side effect of the drug, it is one possible reason I had trouble healing.

For anyone else out there contemplating LASIK vs PRK - one thing to keep in mind is that the majority of healing that needs to occur for PRK is right in the center of your vision. So if you heal badly, your surgery can have a very negative result. Most of the healing for LASIK occurs outside your field of vision. So if my slow healing response happens with LASIK, its not that big a deal. With PRK it could be very bad.

Good Luck!

Mark
leeah

Return to Just Had It