Had Epi-Lasek 14 days ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Epi-Lasek 14 days ago

Postby TheFD » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:44 pm

Hi,
I had epi-lasek 14 days ago. Before the operation my prescription was Right Eye -0.25/-2.00x105 and Left eye -1.25/-1.25x80

I had my first after care consultation after 10 days and the next one is in 6 weeks. I have found the treatment really good in my left eye. But in my right eye the vision is much worse. At the consultation my eyes were tested and in my left the optician told me that eye is at 0, but my right is now slightly worse vision but the stigma is down to -1.00. He said there is nothing to worry about as with time the vision may get better. Obviously he didn't want to guarantee that the vision will definatly improve.

I suppose I just want reassurance that others have had treatment and found one eye to take longer to improve. I know it can take up to 6 months for everything to settle down, and after 2 weeks it is still very early days, but it is slightly disturbing having one eye really good vision and the otherone seeming to be really poor!

Thanks
Tim
TheFD

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:52 am

Yes it is too soon to come to any conclusions about your final outcome.

Correction of astigmatism is much less predictable than correction of myopia (nearsighted) vision. Your doctor was undoubtedly careful to not overcorrect you into hyperopia (farsighted) vision. The physics of astigmatism correction create a "coupling" effect. For every 1.00 diopter of astigmatism correction, there is automatically a 0.25-0.35 diopter myopia correction even if you don't want myopia correction.

By correcting your astigmatism without overcorrecting your myopia your surgeon may have provided a much better corneal shape, albeit one with a bit of astigmatism.

After 3-6 months and after your doctor has checked healing, you may want to talk about enhancement surgery to "fine tune" the astigmatism...but remember that "better" is the enemy of "good enough". Listen to your doctor carefully about warnings and the probability of success.

Something that may help you get through this healing period is the eye drop Alphagan P. This is a glaucoma medicine that has a side effect of making the pupil smaller. A smaller pupil may block light passing through the astigmatism portion of the cornea and provide better vision. Talk to your doctor about this possible workaround.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It