Lasik on 30 Nov

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik on 30 Nov

Postby aaa » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:04 am

I had IntraLase (all laser) Lasik done on Friday. I asked for advices before in the "Thinking about it" section: http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1318

I had it in Australia, so it could be different, but here is my story.

Day 1: Went to the clinic in late afternoon. Signed the consent form, paid the money and they gave me 1 Valium + 2 panadols. I was then given the explanation of what would happen on the day as well as instructions to do after the surgery including drops: 2 antibiotic drops - 4 times a day for 5 days, 1 anti-inflammatory drop - 4 times a day for 10 days, and tear drop as needed. They also gave my the surgeon's mobile for any emergency.

Something like cream was then applied to outside of my eyes to minimize the infection, they then cleaned it when I was in the operation room. I was asked to lie down to the table, the cushion was placed below my knees so I could feel comfortable, and the neck brace was put to my neck. The suction was applied to my right eye, I felt a bit uncomfortable there. The IntraLase then created a flap on my eye, the assistant counted from 20 to 1. Then the flap was created on my left. Then the laser was applied to both eyes (once at a time) to treat the surface.

I was then brought to another room, the assistant checked my eyes, applied drops, put in the shields and I went home.

The next 1-2 hours were uncomfortable, watery eyes, felt gritty - no pain though. I slept for an hour or so, and when I woke up, I could see quite well, but my eyes were quite sensitive to light. I then ate dinner and took a sleeping tablet given to me. It seemed to have no effect on me, so I could not sleep straight away, but I slept as normal. The eyes were alright, but I needed to get used to the shields.

Day 2: I woke up, things were clear (probably better than with glasses). I went to the clinic for check-up, I could see 2 lines better than 20/20. And the surgeon looked at the eyes and said everything was fine. He said my eyes would need some time to adjust to focus, which explained why I could not see the close objects as sharp as far objects. But I could read, or used computer without any issues. He also said that using the computer would not affect the healing process, as long as it was not too uncomfortable for me. I drove home and did things as normal.

Day 3: Similar to day 2, my eyes still had some red areas from operation, but not swollen or anything like that.

Day 4: today - I am going back to work. Still need to put in drops as instructed.

I know it is still early day yet, things could change but I am happy so far. The surgeon booked me in for 1 week (or about 10 days) for check up and 3 months check-up. He said I probably do not need 1 month check up.

Will keep you guys updated how I go.
aaa

Postby eggroll » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:28 am

thankyou so much for sharing your experience! i have some ideas of what to expect during and after the surgery. mine is coming up on fri. Dec. 28. i'm having custom wavefront lasik, most likely i'll do microkeratome rather than intralace, still deciding. does your eye feel dry at all? i was instructed to use both artificial tears and antibiotic drops a week prior to my surgery, 4 times a day. did you have to do that?
eggroll

Postby croanster » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:30 am

G'day aaa - sounds like you may have gone to the same guys as me! Are you in Sydney? Anyway, congrats on the good outcome so far and good luck!

Don't forget - use plenty of eye drops and if it is the same place i went to, throw away the Systane bottle they gave you and get some of the single use viles they are tons better especially with frequent use. The gel's are good at night too. I use Viscotears and Polygel mostly.
croanster

Postby aaa » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Hi Croanster,
I went to the eye institute in Bondi. They gave me the Systane, but I have not used it yet. As I still have to put in 3 types of drop - 4 times a day. So my eyes are not dry yet. I will apply tear drops after I finish with the antibiotic drops in a couple of days.

I still have bloodshots in my eyes, do you guys have it after a few days? It does not seem to affect my vision, but it looks bad.
aaa

Postby croanster » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:01 am

Yep – same place.

My eyes looked terrible for about 2 weeks. Red and bruised from the suction ring. It’ll go away gradually. I think by about 3 weeks the bruising / redness had pretty much completely gone.

As far as the lubricating drops go, you should probably be using them as well as the other drops whether your eyes feel dry or not. Chances are they are dry and you don’t even know it. I know mine never really feel that dry but every time I go for a check-up they stress to keep putting the drops in. You get reduced corneal sensation after lasik and sometimes, like me, you won’t even know how dry they are until the doc starts talking about surface haze and streaking from not enough lubrication...

The stuff they wipe over your eyes before surgery is just betadine – same as you get from the chemist (antiseptic stuff).
croanster

Postby aaa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:44 pm

Thanks Croanster.

I will apply the drop sometime, and I might go out and buy the drops that you mentioned before.
aaa

Return to Just Had It