PRK and epithelium layer..

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK and epithelium layer..

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm just curious why doctors don't just use intralase to make the circle around the layer instead of the alcohol or other tools. I was watching videos of it being done with the alcohol and after they wipe away the layer the edges look so rough. Wouldn't they heal better with a perfectly cut edge? My doctor is using a lasitome and I am just skeptical how well that would work.
tootsieroll

Re: PRK and epithelium layer..

Postby houstonman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:07 pm

tootsieroll wrote:I'm just curious why doctors don't just use intralase to make the circle around the layer instead of the alcohol or other tools. I was watching videos of it being done with the alcohol and after they wipe away the layer the edges look so rough. Wouldn't they heal better with a perfectly cut edge? My doctor is using a lasitome and I am just skeptical how well that would work.

PRK is a layer and a flap is never created. Thats why no laser is involved. The oldest and safest way has always been this method. It looks ruff for bit but it all heals so quickly. The LASER or Intralase cuts a actual flap which is not needed in prk. Once that flap is created it never heals back to 100%. that is why people like my self have gone with PRK and the "Drops" to just get rid of the epithelium layer. I never had discomfort and all was well after day 3.

Hope I answered that for u.
houstonman

Postby tootsieroll » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:04 am

I also wanted to know, how long after PRK heals will I be able to rub my eyes or put pressure on them. I'm not talking about a lot of pressure, just being able to wash my lashes in the morning or I might accidentally sleep face down on my pillow. Just normal everyday pressure. I know you have to be extra careful with lasik because the flap can dislodge.
tootsieroll

Return to Thinking About It