came back from consultation...1/04/08 Surgery decided!!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

came back from consultation...1/04/08 Surgery decided!!

Postby eggroll » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:50 am

So i've finally decided! Soon i'll be able to post my experience under "just had it done" section. :D
i am a 21 year old college student who lives in Southern California. The place where i'm going to get my surgery is called the Laser Eye Center (anyone heard of it?) located in Southern cali.
i have: -3.75left eye, and -3.25on the right eye with little astigmatism on both eyes (which i never knew i had till today!) the type of surgery i'm going to get is: Lasik, Ladar Custom wavefront with microkeratome. i chose the blade over intralace because it was $1000 more. :(. Originally i was really intrested in PRK more so lasik, but my doc really preferred lasik over PRK, since he said i was the perfect candidate for lasik, and there's higher chance of getting infection after the PRK surgery than lasik.(but overall, he said there's really slight differences, and both procedures are still good)plus i had to get two separte surgery for each eye for PRK, which i didnt want. and i just chose custom wavefront, rather the mannual, just becuase i feel like i'm gonna get better result with custom wavefront :p
with that, my total amount came to be $3240 (price paid in full) and they prescribed me with Zymar, ($65) :( an anti-biotic eyedrop, and artificial tear drops, Refresh Plus Tears, which i have to use a week prior to the surgery and after. i'm nervous about the fact that i can't get ANYTHING in my eyes for 2 weeks after surgery, that include soap or even water! (how do u guys do it?)
My day of the surgery is 1/04/08, 6:30 in the morning... (what the hell was i thinking?!)
well, not that if anyone cares about all this, but i was just so excited, and i wanted to talk all about it on this forum, since i have learned so much from this place and i feel more confident about this whole surgery. i still got 1 more month to go but i'm already nervous! well, everyone wish me luck, and i will post about my experience, problems or questions under "just had it done" section after my surgery!
eggroll

Postby beingbobbyorr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55 am

Good luck with this ..... but I gotta tell you: the eyes are one thing not to skimp on $$$-wise. I'd take out a loan if I had to to get the intra-lase, just for my own peace of mind.

Or better yet: why aren't dear old mom & dad paying for this? Drop hints that they could at least toss in the extra $1000 for the intra-lase as a Xmas present. After all, it was their genetic code you inherited that produced your eyes.
beingbobbyorr

Postby houstonman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:03 am

beingbobbyorr wrote:Good luck with this ..... but I gotta tell you: the eyes are one thing not to skimp on $$$-wise. I'd take out a loan if I had to to get the intra-lase, just for my own peace of mind.

Or better yet: why aren't dear old mom & dad paying for this? Drop hints that they could at least toss in the extra $1000 for the intra-lase as a Xmas present. After all, it was their genetic code you inherited that produced your eyes.

im 23 year old college kid and paid out of my own pocket $6,000. If I were you I would so have intralase done with the laser. The micrometer is not around for a reason... its a higher risk something could go wrong when cutting the flap. Find a way to get the extra 1k to get it done RIGHT. Its your call but im just saying.... I went to the best 3 docs in Houston and they all did not offer the micrometer because its just a higher risk of something not going right. The laser is precise. Its your call but im just saying what I would do.
houstonman

Postby beingbobbyorr » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:28 am

houstonman wrote:im 23 year old college kid and paid out of my own pocket $6,000. If I were you I would so have intralase done with the laser. The micrometer is not around for a reason... its a higher risk something could go wrong when cutting the flap. Find a way to get the extra 1k to get it done RIGHT. Its your call but im just saying.... I went to the best 3 docs in Houston and they all did not offer the micrometer because its just a higher risk of something not going right. The laser is precise. Its your call but im just saying what I would do.

Obviously you and I are on the same page in encouraging the thread starter (college kid) to hold out for intra-lase ..... but then today I read a highly regarded LA surgeon's response to the "50 questions" list that is a bedrock of this site, and he suggests that there isn't much difference between blade flaps and laser flaps, with the later falling closer to being a marketing gimmick / price-hiking mechanism.

I'm just saying: read a little more everyday and you can find opinions from esteemed surgeons to contradict everything we "know" about refractive surgery.
beingbobbyorr

Postby eggroll » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:11 pm

haha, thanks guys, i did consider about getting intralace, i changed my surgery date to 12/28/07, because they had speacial offer for all laser custum lasik if the surgery is done before 12/31. but it's still $600 more...i would definately go for inralace if microkeratome was that risky, but i also heard from other ppl that microkeratome is just as same as intralace, safety wise, and the doctors are just trying to get more money. well, i will talk to the surgen on the day of the surgery, and see which one he would recommend, but if i really feel nervous about getting microkeratome on that day, then i'll just go for all laser.

my parents wont help me pay because they don't want me to get the surgery in the first place :(
eggroll

Postby beingbobbyorr » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:22 am

eggroll wrote:... my parents wont help me pay because they don't want me to get the surgery in the first place :(

There is a lot to be said for that because you have no idea how much your vision will change in the next 20 years. I'm 47, and my vision got worse constantly from age 13 until about my late 30's.
beingbobbyorr

Return to Thinking About It