Dilated Pupil Exam Reveals Less Nearsightedness

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Dilated Pupil Exam Reveals Less Nearsightedness

Postby jmaronson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:29 pm

My dilated pupil exam appears to indicate that I am significantly less nearsighted than my non-dilated exam suggests. As I understand it, my eyes are essentially "stuck" in an accommodative state as a result of long hours spent reading (in a very document-intensive job). They do not seem to "relax" enough to allow me to see longer distances properly. In my LASIK consultation, my eye surgeon commented that this condition is not uncommon, but that mine is more severe than he usually sees. Nonetheless, he said he can "work with it" and still perform the surgery.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone out there with any thoughts about whether this condition makes LASIK less effective, more prone to complications, etc.

Many thanks in advance!
jmaronson

Postby SteveR » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:25 am

I would try and find out the term for this condition so that you can research it further (and the rest of us too, because it sounds interesting!) I've not heard of it before, though after a long days near work activity there can be a temporary myopic shift (I don't recall a medical term) and this I do regularly notice. (So much so that I booked morning appointments on my scan and zap days)
SteveR

Postby SteveR » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:58 am

Oops, I've just spotted that you did give actually the name of the medical term, in the title description - Pseudomyopia.

It looks like a condition worth investigated further if you are getting it badly or for extended periods and its onset unrelated to close-work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomyopia
http://health.yahoo.com/diabetes-overvi ... 22311.html
SteveR

Return to Thinking About It