Basic questions about lasik procedures.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Basic questions about lasik procedures.

Postby uniden9 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:25 am

I am considering getting lasik type procedure but have some high level questions. Please note that I am still research the various procedures.

I recently, 3 weeks ago, received my very first pair of glasses at the age of 28yrs old. My main issue was a moderate amount of astigmatism. I have to admit that I am still adjusting to the astigmatism correction. Basically wearing my glass I feel taller and everything seems closer. Also it is more difficult to judge where things are, especially at an angle. I am basically just describing typical astigmatism correction.

My first question regarding to lasik procedures, do they typically increase or skew these astigmatism correction sensation more/worse or is it consistent? This has been extremely difficult for me to get use too.

My second question is regarding immediate time required for healing. Now I know most of these procedures require several months before you have totally healed from the procedure. But question is what's the typical amount of time require before you can effectively return to work, following the procedure? Basically I work in the IT consulting industry, I would need to be able to read a computer screen all day to work effectively. I'm sure this may very from procedure to procedure, but surely not by a great amount.

Finally, during my research I have read several sites saying that you should have your the same Rx for at least two years. Unfortunately I have no idea if my Rx prescription has been the consistent, since I just recently had my eyes checked. Granted I have been putting this off for the last few years. My previous eye exam was more than 10 years prior. Believe it or not, I did not have any astigmatism at that time. Is this something that surgeon address during evaluation? Basically can they tell if my prescription has stabilized during the evaluation? I personally do not believe my vision has changed, if at all, in the last 3 yrs. This hardly scientific analysis.

Basically my goal with this type of procedure is not necessarily have perfect vision. My personal goal is to reduce my astigmatism. I am still in the research stage, and not necessarily ready to do a consultation until I understand the various procedure a little better. There exists to many options for these types of procedures.

If this is needed, my current visual prescription is:
OD Sphere: +.25 Cyl: -1.25 Axis: 030
OS Sphere: +.25 Cyl: -1.25 Axis: 170

Thank for your time,

Justin
uniden9

Re: Basic questions about lasik procedures.

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:15 pm

uniden9 wrote:My first question regarding to lasik procedures, do they typically increase or skew these astigmatism correction sensation more/worse or is it consistent?

You are experiencing correction at the spectacle plane, Lasik is more like contact lenses at the corneal plane. Try correction with contacts to get a better idea of what successful Lasik would be like.

uniden9 wrote:This has been extremely difficult for me to get use too.

This sounds like the glasses are not quite right. You should go to your optometrist, describe your symptoms, and ask that all elements of the glasses be verified.

uniden9 wrote:My second question is regarding immediate time required for healing. Now I know most of these procedures require several months before you have totally healed from the procedure. But question is what's the typical amount of time require before you can effectively return to work, following the procedure?

With successful Lasik the vision recovery is almost immediate for many, a few days for some, a few weeks for a very few. Surface ablation techniques like PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik typically take longer.

uniden9 wrote:Basically I work in the IT consulting industry, I would need to be able to read a computer screen all day to work effectively.

Those who spend long hours in front of a computer screen tend to blink less often than normal. This can lead to dry eye problems and delay healing. Lasik dry eye is relatively common in the first few weeks after surgery, so dry eye management is very important.

uniden9 wrote:Believe it or not, I did not have any astigmatism at that time.

This could be an important contraindication for Lasik. Late developing astigmatism can be an early sign of Keratoconus. You would need to have an Orbscan or similar diagnostic to determine if this is a potential problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby uniden9 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks for answer some of simple questions. I will need to check some of the things you mentioned.

Justin
uniden9

Return to Thinking About It