LASEK possible or impossible mission hyperopia + astigmatism

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

LASEK possible or impossible mission hyperopia + astigmatism

Postby drw » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:08 am

Hello there!

Thanks creating this great forum for questions about different methods of laser surgeries. I have been in contact with 8 clinics and some can correct my vision and some cannot. It seems that I am a hard case and it would be more difficult to correct my vision than others with myopia. The ones who says this vision of mine can be corrected are using MEL 80. FDA havent approved MEL 80 for hyperopia as I could understand but the clinics are saying that it is used for hyperopia elsewhere in the world to correct hyperopia. What conclusions can be drawn from that?

I have also read that hyperopia is far more difficult to correct since the steepning curve at the sides is more of an art to correct than science. I do not know if this is correct but its very hard to find other ppl with a prescription like mine out on the internet or with hyperopia + astigmatism.

The clinic that uses MEL 80 says that shadow effects and other side effects except haze are gone by todays methods. The only thing with haze is that is will disappear after a couple of months. They said even that the color vision and contrast vision will improve since glasses are removing some of the color and contrast vision.

Still today I see in different forums ppl complaining about long terms side effects mostly ppl who have had myopia preop and as I mention hyperopia seem more difficult to treat so it doesnt feel the right thing to do. Some have double vision after 3 years, 2 years and 1 years etc.

The clinic with Mel 80 says they have treated hundreds of people with a prescription like mine with perfect results. I ask them about a reference person that I could ask questions too, they havent come back for that yet. Further on, I tried to look at the specification what Mel 80 is constructed for and havent been able to get any information about that so far. Im waiting for a response from the manufacturer.

Am I really a candidate for this?

My description is:

Right eye +3.50 -4.50 96
Left eye +2.25 -2.50 65

/John
drw

Postby croanster » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:20 am

G’day drw,

I had hyperopic lasik around 5 months ago. Script was around +3.5 and +4.75 with minimal astig in the +4.75 eye (around -0.75 / -1ish). Last checkup I had around 0.75 astig in both eyes induced from the surgery. I get a few starbursts and still adapting to my new script but am happy enough at this stage. My story so far is here if you’re interested http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/viewtopic.php?t=1189

Regression seems to play a big part in hyperopic correction and is very rarely even! I rekon it'd be a big ask correcting your astig. I suppose it depends on the type / shape and stuff like that though.

My gut instinct is telling me it would not be the best outcome coming from your script. They seem like some pretty big numbers to me.. I’d be very interested to hear how it turned out though!

What do you rekon Glenn?
croanster

Postby croanster » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:06 am

G'day again - just found this post in another forum. Seems a similar script to yours might be worth a read...

http://www.lasereyeforum.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3247
croanster

Postby drw » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Thank you for your link. I think I will pass this surgery since Im to afraid of doing LASIK(flaps) and I cannot be disfunctional for 6 months. As I understand it, the clinic cannot in presence time operate without beeing forced to reoperate at a later time. That outcome seem very plausible to 95%. That could mean several years before I will be satisfied with my vision and can also mean lack of vision for life that cannot be adjusted by glasses. That is not a risk I am willing to take.

I think I will accept that I got a bad ticket in this life when it comes to my vision but still I live a happy life with everything I can wish for except for my vision and that could be removed from my life with a bad decision like this. So why take a chance? If I could spend 10 times the sum of the laser surgery and lower to risk to 1 %, I would do it. Money is not the issue here, its the risk and our life time is not that long so I can sit around and wait for better science.

One answer I got today from a clinic explained, why there is so difficult to find ppl with hyperopia experiences on the net, that is because there are not very common to do this kind of surgery since its alot more complicated than most cases. They suggested I would look for PRK and hyperopia+astigmatism. However this clinic suggested LASIK instead of LASEK since that outcome of LASEK is too difficult to predict than LASIK. The other clinic said that LASEK is a safer method of surgery than LASIK, so now the clinics are beeing separated by their own views. Or they are not telling me everything. It might be safer but not calculating with the outcome. What perspective are beeing used?

I also asked the manufacturer of the laser what it can be used for and havent got any other answers than those papers found on the net telling nada. Now they have sent me to another person in germany to answer my questions. Hopefully I can get some answers. I do not know why FDA approves these kind of machines for myopia and not hyperopia when its beeing used for hyperopia elsewhere in the world. FDA maybe have good judgements? I do not know.

Ive been told that LASEK is now more secure from HAZE and regression since they are now using mytocin(i think it was called). That is a substance used to prevent the stroma from trying to heal itself(I think it was). Since it doesnt tries to heal itself there will be alot less risk of haze and other complications. The only thing that the last clinic said that this was very rarely used. ?!? what conclusion can be drawn from that?

I have some other clinics that I will continue to investigate this matter with so I can be sure that I have understood everything correctly before a final decision will be made.

The only thing that Im very sure of at this point. It is very difficult to get precise answers to questions asked and information about this in general. As I have understood so far that this kind of surgery is more suitable for individuals with myopia. The individual with weak myopia have the best chances to actually benefit from this kind of surgery. Its like this kind of surgery needs more time before safe results can be achieved.

/John
drw

Return to Thinking About It