What is ICL with toric lenses?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

What is ICL with toric lenses?

Postby nursegnet » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:18 am

Hi,
I was turned down for lasik due to very thin cornea and severe astigmatism and near sightedness. The doctor did mention ICL with toric lenses. He also said that this certain procedure is not approved as of yet in the US but approved in Mexico and Canada.

Does anyone know what it is?

I didn't have a chance to ask the doctor any further about it because I was so disappointed that I was not a candidate for lasik.

He did mention that they could do ICL but would need to have Lasik done to fix the astigmatism. They said this won't be a good idea because I would not be at all be candidate for any enhancements due to my thin corneas.

If anyone has any info regarding this ICL procedure with toric lenses I would really apprciate it.

Thank you in advance,
G'net
nursegnet

ICL with toric lenses

Postby bat » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi there
I am in the uk and have just had this procedure. Before my script was -9/-10 and -2.5 astigmatism in each. Am now >2 weeks for right eye and 4 days for left and better than 20/20 in each. Its like a cataract operation but instead of replacing your own lens they add a tiny lens behind your iris. It is completely reversible if it ever needs to come out. To insert it the surgeon makes a tiny hole by laser or cuts one at the margin of your iris and the white and inserts it via a syringe. The correct placement is crucial. You must ensure your surgeon has done lots of these before. You would need regular check ups (after the first year these are normally yearly) to ensure all is well. People generally recover faster than with laser, I could see 20/20 within a day. But you are advised only light exercise and nothing heavy like running, etc,. for 2 months. It is more expensive than laser here but is becoming more popular. It has a better outcome for high myopes and avoids complications like dry eye. At night you must wear shields for 3 weeks. I am very pleased so far. My vision is better than it was with normal toric contact lenses. My ICLs are made by staar and are approved in this country and elsewhere in europe. The operation is not painful, you have a local and a sedative so that I could feel or remember nothing but it is stressful, as is any eye procedure.
bat

Return to Thinking About It