Intralase and microkeratome

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Intralase and microkeratome

Postby kaytennessee » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Had my evaluation for Lasix and after reviewing my chart he said that I am a better candidate for the conventional Lasix because with my prescription ( -9 and -8.5) the Custom would remove too much cornea. He also suggested the Intralase due to the fact I have cornea scarring from contacts at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions - He said with the Intralase he has better control of keeping the flap inside the scarring. After talking with my optometrist he wants to know has he ever lost a flap with the Intralase - is this common? and are people still having transient light sensitivity from the Intralase?
Donna
kaytennessee

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Transient Light Sensitivity (TLS) does still occur after IntraLasik. It seems to be rare and is treated with steroid eye drops, but it does happen.

The size, depth, and location of a Lasik flap created with a femtosecond laser are significantly more precise than a flap created with a mechanical microkeratome.

As far as losing a flap, I have never heard nor have I found a case report of a femtosecond laser created flap being lost intraoperatively. It is possible after Lasik or IntraLasik to have flap damage due to trauma.

I know of one case where the Intralase flap was dislocated due to impact in a car accident. The emergency room doctor inappropriately removed and discarded the flap, rather than repositioning the flap. Despite the absence of the flap, the patient's refractive error was almost exactly the same without the flap as with the flap. Needless to say this was an delightfully unexpected occurrence and you would not want to count on it.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It