wrinkled flap

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

wrinkled flap

Postby Jenny » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Please help me!! I had the Lasik on Nov 21, 2007. Went back the next day and found out that the flap was wrinkled. Dr. floated flap and put a contact on it. Went back on Monday to have contact removed and check vision 20/200. Went back again for check up and found that I still had lots of wrinkles. Dr. scrapped and lasered my eye and placed a contact on it. Went back on Monday (Dec 10) no wrinkles but still having trouble with vision.
Will I ever get better!!!

Right eye is 20/15
Jenny

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:56 am

What you have is Lasik flap striae, or flap wrinkles. There are two kinds with one respoding best to early treatment and the other often resolving with no treatment.

You said your doctor "scrapped and lasered" your eye. This seems like a very agressive treatment response. Did the doctor happen to call the lasering "PTK"? What, exactly, was the doctor trying to accomplish with lasering?

Scraping off the epithelium (soft outermost layer of corneal cells) will provide very poor vision for the first few days with clarity coming back over the following few weeks as the epithelium thickens and smooths.

You will see in the article linked above that flap striae often can be resolved. If you do not have wrinkles at this time, then your poor vision may be due to the healing epithelium or refractive error induced by the additional lasering. You will need a refraction (which is better, one or two?) to determine your current prescription.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

wrinkled flap

Postby Jenny » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:14 pm

I just came back from the doctor...there are no wrinkles!! The reason for the laser was to polish the flap to get rid of the wrinkles. Vision was bad last week, but today vision is better. I seem to lose some clarity by the end of the day but they say that it's healing. Vision today was 20/40 in left and 20/20 in both. I go back in 3wks. I still have a little problem with my computer screen and muscle twitch above left eye.
Jenny

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:20 pm

This is all good news! Keep us informed of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It