Question for Glenn on very dry eyes

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Question for Glenn on very dry eyes

Postby firemom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Had surgery 7-12-07, eyes are very dry, I'm on restases x 2 daily, flaxseed oil, refresh endura, refresh pm at night. My eyes are so dry that I have to go into the eye dr and get things that would normally wash out of my eyes removed, and I have now scratched the cornea in several places and had to go back on steroid drops for 5 days. Seems there is always the feeling of something being in my eye. Any ideas?
firemom

Postby agent99bm » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:44 am

Did your doctor ever mention putting plugs in your tear ducts? I had my surgery 15 days ago and have not had one minute of dry eye problem. My doctor inserted punctal plugs in my lower ducts two weeks prior to surgery and started me on Restasis, and on the day of surgery he put the plugs in my upper ducts. At my 5-day post op he said my eyes were doing great. Talk to your doctor about this possibility. Good Luck!
agent99bm

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:16 am

This sounds like dreadfully problematic dry eye that I'm sure is miserable and provides less than excellent vision quality. Please read our article about Lasik dry eye treatment.

Restasis is normally prescribed for once a day. Did you start at once a day? How long after starting Restasis did you switch to twice a day?

When you go back on steroids do you have dry eye relief?

Your artificial tears are a fine brand, but there are several different classes of artificial tears with different formulas. There may be something else that better provides what you need. Visit our article about artificial tears to see the different classes. Keep to preservative-free, but try something different.

Agent99bm asked about punctal plugs. Have they been recommended?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby firemom » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Glenn, they started me on Reastes in the am & pm. Failed to state I alreay have perm plugs in the lower lids. Yes the vision and dry did seem to get better with the steriods which I am now off. Its terrible, I'll fight with a little piece of lint that's floating in the air and gets in my eye all day. You can see it on the eye but just cant wash it out. The cornea healed well where trash (glitter) from Christmas things got under the top lid and I could not get out. The vision in the right eye was so much better when on the steroids I feel if I could get that under control the vision would be better in the right eye. I'll try different tears, any suggestions. Also I keep a hudmifier, and keep the heat low so as not to dry them out. Thanks Becky
firemom

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:26 am

The "piece of lint" sounds like it could be floaters. Lasik can stir up existing floaters or create new ones. They tend to settle out of view and/or the brain becomes accustomed to them and ignores them.

Steroids can reduce inflammation and that reduction may be why your dry eyes were better. The problem is you cannot stay on steroids long-term. You may want to investigate if nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory like Aleve or Motrin would be appropriate. Restasis is an anti-inflammatory too.

A humidifier is great. Try also a bit of grog simmering on the stove. Humidity and a great smell.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rosecmd » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Firemom, how miserable! Did the warm compresses help? They helped me a lot - 10 minutes twice a day with the dry rice-filled bags heated up to quite warm in the microwave and just applied to the closed eyes while lying down. I swear that treatment seems to "melt" or release clogged up oil glands. My eyes always felt moist and much clearer afterwards. Also, the mild steroid Alrex that I was on for about one month helped me turn a corner and stay turned on the dry eye issue.

Also, I do not use any drops with methylcellulose in them. I find the plain Refresh indivual drops to be very helpful.

I am now six months out of my original lasik surgery and my dry eye is still present, mostly at night. But, hardly bothers me during the day. I do Restasis twice a day too, always have. I use my Restasis nighttime drops right before bed, so I can lie down and close my eyes and let it really sink in. This seems to help with overnight dryness. I found all the gel drops and ointments make my eyes feel dryer and all crusty.

Good luck!
rosecmd

Postby firemom » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:14 pm

OK gona show how dumb I am. What is Grog that Glenn is talking about, and where or how you make it? Ya I tried the rice warmed up, but it seemed to pull the moisture out of my eyes more. I tried putting the rice thing in a zip-lock bag after I heated it and then put a warm wet cloth under it. That worked a little better. I have now learned that cold weather is way worse than when it's warmer. I'm still 20/35 in the right eye and that is squinting, but with all this, I'm scared to have an enhancement. Also, I feel if I could get the dry eye cleared up that would also improve. I'm just getting confused, because I have seen some articles that said if you use to many tears it will trick your own tear glands and they may not produce as many as they should. Have you ever herd of that? I still feel a little off balanced due to the diff in the two eyes, but not enough to make me put any glasses on yet!!!!!!! So I guess that says something. Any comments welcome. Especially on the Grog, I'v tryed every thing else.
firemom

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:26 pm

firemom wrote:What is Grog that Glenn is talking about, and where or how you make it?

Ingredients:
8 ounces dark rum
4 cubes sugar
6 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2 tablespoon lemon juice
4 slice lemon
4 cups boiling water

Directions:

Place all ingredients into an uncovered pot, bring to a boil, then lower heat to a slow simmer. Add water throughout the day (I suggest a 1-hour timer so you don't forget). Smells great, humidifies, and you can drink it too.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby firemom » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Thanks Glenn, 1 more question, with the sever dry eye, and 20/25 in left and 20/35 squinting in right, do you feel I did the correct thing by cancelling my enhancement. If they are so clear right after drops?
firemom

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:47 am

You can always have enhancement surgery later.

The eye drops may improve your vision because they smooth a rough corneal surface, or because they thicken the tear film and induce a small amount of refractive change. A refraction (which is better, one or two?) can show you the best possible vision with lenses. That is the most you could expect from enhancement surgery. If vision with corrective lenses is less than what you desire, then surgery is probably not the answer.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago