Couple of questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Couple of questions

Postby Button1 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:39 am

I had Custom LASIK with Intralase four weeks ago and was wondering:

I don't have to use those eye shields at night anymore, right?

I haven't been using drops as much (maybe twice a day.) Is that ok? My eyes don't feel dry anymore.

I still have that haziness and halos around lights and white objects night and day. Is this normal?

Thanks.
Button1

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:25 am

After four weeks the shields are probably no longer necessary, however this is a question where a quick call to your doctor's office will give you the correct answer based upon your unique situation.

One of the problems with relying on feeling to tell you that your eyes are dry is that the nerves that report to your brain that your eyes are dry are disrupted by the surgery. Your eyes may be dry, but won't “feel” dry until they are a bit damaged and then all heck cuts loose. It is not unusual to need fewer lubrication drops at four weeks postop, but what you do need is something your doctor should check and verify.

As a general rule, you cannot over-lubricate your eyes...but you can under-lubricate.

Sorry to hear about the haze and halos. While I would not say that this is "normal", it is common enough to be known. Remember that refractive surgery is more of a six-month process than a 20-Minute Miracle. It is reasonable to expect improvement over the next several months and weeks.

Report all these symptoms and concerns to your doctor at the next regular exam. Your tears can be evaluated for quantity and quality to answer the artificial tears question. The doctor can verify that your flap is healing correctly and you don't have a corneal haze problem. What is described by someone as "haze" may actually be simple refractive error that can be corrected with a pair of low-powered glasses during the healing stage. A small amount of refractive error can cause halos around light sources at night. If healing does not resolve refractive error, then discuss with your doctor if enhancement surgery is appropriate.

If you have any sudden changes in vision, contact your doctor immediately.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Button1 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 pm

Thanks for the response. I have my one month appointment with the doctor on Tuesday. I didn't use any drops at all yesterday and I think my vision is slightly "off" today.
Button1

Return to Just Had It