Going for enhancement in one eye in one hour

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Going for enhancement in one eye in one hour

Postby Ol Blue Eyes » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Dear everyone;

I was one whose eyes regressed to a -1.25 after Lasik. I have decided to get just the right eye done again and I will be kind of Monovision after that but hopefully I will be able to read up close and see far as well.

If my right eye regresses again I will get the left done and maybe still be able to read up close without reading glasses.

For some reason it's so scary this time - the doctor originally said he wanted to do PRK after they regressed and I asked "Why not Lasik again?" and he did not seem to have a preference so he is doing Lasik again but I still wonder why he chose PRk for the second time if there was no real benefit. I kind of wish I had done PRK to begin with now that I read everything.

I still have very dry eyes - it's been about 5 months - but now that I'm invested in the whole process I don't just want to give up and go back to glasses. I have to try and finish what I started - scary though - one more chance to get somthing wrong.
Ol Blue Eyes

Postby firemom » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:37 am

Hi, just wondering how your enhancement went. I'm 5 month's out as of Dec 12, 2007. My eyes are still very dry, doing reastisis, flax-seed oil, humidifier, have perm plugs in bottom lids, and gel at night.
I was 20/25 the morning after surgery in both eyes for me that was great. My left eye is now 20/25 and right is 20/40 just looking at the chart. I can get to 20/35 and some of the 20/30 straning. My Dr. suggested an enhancement, but there is so much talk about is not being worth the risk I cancelled my appt. I think I'll go back in January 2008 which will be 6 month's, and see if Dr still thinks I should have the enhancement. The reason I chickened out was because the surgon is supposed to be one of the best in the Country, I trust him very much, his assistant the one he trust to do all of his pre-op testing is the one that said if it were him he would not have it. My regular eye Dr. said he would not have it either. I can drive and do not need glasses. But things are just not clear out of the right eye, and its just bad enough, I get really agitated when watching TV, shopping etc. It's kinda like having one contact lense in and the right out. Any suggestion or comments on your experience would be appreciated.
firemom

Enhancement

Postby Ol Blue Eyes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:24 pm

The enhancement operation was not nearly as bad as getting it done the first time but in the waiting room a lady warned me against getting both eyes re-done because she can't read now without glasses. And it's not that she needs them from time to time but at the grocery store she needs the glasses off to see normal things and then has to put on glasses to read the labels on the shelves. She needs to put them on and off all day.

So I got just one eye done with the idea of trying to get used to Monovision - but strangly enough I don't see clear enough to drive (I don't think) especially since I am driving to BC on my own this Monday - so I took the one glass out of the glasses I had been wearing and now I am not sure what to do. I can either try and get by with monovision or try and get the other eye done and deal with the problems the lady in the waiting room deals with. One thing I hate is at night I like to read books in bed before going to sleep. So far with monovision it is kind of blurry and I can't read for long which is a big deal for me because it's one of the things I do alot. So I wont be able to read properly until I get used to monovision but at the same time I dont think the correction I got is complete enough to see well enough to drive so I am stumped.

I would say to think long and hard about doing it. You can always do it but it is impossible to undo it now that I have done it and I am still faced with dilemmas. I wish I would have stayed wearing glasses for the slight difference and stayed being able to read at night.

Kathy
Ol Blue Eyes

Postby firemom » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Hopefully it will get better for you. Since I can read sometimes not as clear as others, especially like small print on the back of a over the counter med, but books are ok just a little blurry, I can drive read computer, do anything I want to do its just a little blurry in the right eye. Just enough to agervate after being used to seeint 20/20. But I may be better off to leave things as they are and be thankful for what I have even if I have to get a pair of glasses to bring me to 20/20 for those times I need it.
firemom

Enhancement results

Postby Ol Blue Eyes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:38 pm

I think in your case if one eye was always blurry I would consider doing the one eye. You are already corrected to the point that you can do things without glasses so in effect you have already taken the plunge for perfect vision and will one day probably need reading glasses.

So I guess if I had to offer an opinion - the re-do is not nearly as traumatic as the first one - there is no suction cup on your eye - it seems to go faster - they don't put that thing on your eyelids that hold your eyes open. I would say if it's one eye - do it - you always have the other eye and right now the blurryness is bugging you.

I will say - ask your doctor - is the regressed eye allowing you to read closely even if presobia sets in? That's the only thing that would hold me back from getting the job done right. Also - ask your doctor if there is enough layers left to do Lasik again or if you would have to be PRK - then read the side effects dangers of PRK if you have to do it that way due to not enough layers left for Lasik because with PRk it is 10 days off work - more painful and a danger of hazing.

Kathy
Ol Blue Eyes

Postby firemom » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I go back Jan 23rd. Hopefully yours will get better. I don't know what the difference between the surgery for monovision and contacts is but a lady I work with had to go into monivision contacts in order to keep wearing them. It took her several month's to adjust. Now that she has she can't see with glasses.
firemom

In the same boat.....sorta

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:21 am

I had monovision done. And it's basically getting used to seeing out of one eye. One eye for distant and one eye for mid-range. In bright daylight its no so bad. But when the night sets in or in low light rooms not as good as when I wore glasses. I read some articles and the docs say that when you have monovision the eyes have to be spot on. Or your annoyed. I think their right. At least for some of us who will not accept lest than excellent. I think thats why Glen and some docs say "they can reduce your dependence on glasses." Some call it functional vision. I can function but am annoyed at times because it is not the old binocular vision, but that the best they can do for us oldsters. I am at 9 months now. I have not been back to the doctor since 3 months because I did not want to get frustrated, with the old routine. In the doc's office 20/20 or 20/30 and no dry eyes. But in reality the doctors office is not the real world, and anything less than what I had before is not as good. I can go without eye drops and they would not be considered dry, but even if it's just 5% drier than before, it's dry to ME.. so there it is. Not the miracle like some of the younger ones, and not bad enough or serious enough to need retreatment. Just a little frustrating at times. I think some more time will help also.
In all fairness I must mention I have alot of other health problems that I think contribute to overall health and contribute to eye fatigue. Thats another story but an important one..I save that for another time.
Mr.UnPerfect

Return to Had It A While Ago