I was -11.66 and -12.50 and had Intralase on December 12th

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

I was -11.66 and -12.50 and had Intralase on December 12th

Postby Sherbear » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Since the surgery, I had a lot of haziness but on my post op exam the next day, I could read the chart at 20/25, though my vision was blurry. The doctor was pleased.

It has been a week, and I would say that my vision is more blurry and less hazy. Today I went for my checkup, and I couldn’t even read the chart. After a couple of tests, my doctor said that my vision regressed to -1.50. He did warn me of this possibility before my surgery, since I had such a large correction. Enhancement will not be an option because of the thickness of my corneas. He does not know how much more it will regress.

He offered to put me in contacts, so I can see well over the holidays. I was hesitant, but let him put it in my left eye after being assured that it was safe to do so.

My questions are:

1. I know that it takes time for the eyes to heal. I’ve read on this forum of people whose vision improved over time. Is it possible that over time, my eyes would heal and therefore my regression would be reversed?

2. Due to my high correction, will it take longer than the average for my vision to clear so that I won’t experience blurriness, haziness and poor night vision? Does the vision gradually improve, or does it clear up all of a sudden?

3. How safe/unsafe is it to put in contacts a week after surgery if it is my doctor that puts it in and removes it? Can I use my regular eye drops (Systane) on that eye?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sherbear

Re: I was -11.66 and -12.50 and had Intralase on December 1

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Sherbear wrote:1. I know that it takes time for the eyes to heal. I’ve read on this forum of people whose vision improved over time. Is it possible that over time, my eyes would heal and therefore my regression would be reversed?

It is probable that the haze will resolve with healing, but the regression of effect will not. You will be myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) without enhancement surgery.

Sherbear wrote:2. Due to my high correction, will it take longer than the average for my vision to clear so that I won’t experience blurriness, haziness and poor night vision? Does the vision gradually improve, or does it clear up all of a sudden?

The vision quality (limtations that cannot be corrected with glasses or contacts) will improve slowly. The vision quantity (corrected with lenses) will likely get a bit worse as you regress.

Sherbear wrote:3. How safe/unsafe is it to put in contacts a week after surgery if it is my doctor that puts it in and removes it?

If the doctor sees that the eye is doing fine, then you should be safe. It is really the doctor's call.

Sherbear wrote:Can I use my regular eye drops (Systane) on that eye?

There should be no limitation on the use of artificial tears.

Although Lasik enhancement may not be possible due to the large amount of correction and the limits of the thickness of your cornea, it may be possible to have PRK on the Lasik flap. Your doctor can discuss this possibility.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It