Urgent Advice Needed on Re-treatment

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Urgent Advice Needed on Re-treatment

Postby Neil R » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:02 am

O.k i had both my eyes lasered with epi-lasik some 18months ago, at the time my prescription was -4.75 in both eyes which both had astigmatism. (edit:i was 33 years of age at the time)

After 18months my left is apparently 0.00(perfect vision) but my right eyes prescription is somewhere between -0.25 and -0.50.

While my current prescription isn't of great concern for me, i have had continuing night-vision problems with what I'm told is slight glare but quite severe starbursts to the point i avoid driving at night.

I've been back to my surgeon, who told me he could treat the right eye using wavefront which would improve the starburst issues and my prescription.

But I'm very very worried! how will he correct a prescription somewhere between -0.25 and -0.50? I thought 0.50 was the minimum you could correct? will it correct the starbursts? and importantly what about the starbursts in my left eye?

Is there any alternative options to the one outlined?

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated by this worried man.
Last edited by Neil R on Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Neil R

Postby Button1 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:36 pm

Did you doctor say the wavefront itself would improve starbursting and glare? Because I had wavefront a month ago and have them both.
Button1

Postby Neil R » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:25 am

Yes my surgeon told me using wavefront would hopefully improve the starbursts and glare in my right eye.

id really appreciate the opinion of lasikexpert if glen has a moment to reply, Ive got a second appointment at the clinic this coming week to ask questions and id really appreciate having some independent advice.
Neil R

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:22 am

Yours is not an easy or obvious situation. If your higher order aberrations (HOA) are very elevated, it is possible that wavefront-guided retreatment may improve the situation. The concern would be unintentional overcorrection from your mild myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision.

I recommend that you review our article on pupil size and Lasik and discuss in detail your options with your surgeon. I also recommend that you try using contact lenses to see if this improves vision quality. If you can get good vision quality with corrective lenses, then it would seem more likely that enhancement surgery would be appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Neil R » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:24 am

well a 0.50 lens really does make a difference in my right eye (per my surgeons eye-sight test)

Ive spoken again with my surgeon who showed me some scans of my eyes and he pointed out some areas in my cornea that the transition was too steep, he claimed that by using wavefront he could lessen the steepness in these specific areas, which should in theory help with the starbursts in both eyes.

his reply to my concern that he might make me longsighted, was the chances were minimal and 0.50+ is nothing to worry about, he also said he would be happy for me to wait and think about it or seek a second opinion.

what your thoughts?

edit:- btw thankyou for replying glen, i really appreciate it.
Neil R

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:16 am

I agree with your doctor's theory about attempting to reduce the transition between the fully corrected area of your cornea and the undercorrected periphery. In theory this is a great idea, but nothing screws up a perfectly good theory faster than reality. The reality is that many people have achieved significant improvement in vision quality after Complex Wavefront Retreatment (CWR), but certainly not all.

I highly recommend that your doctor fit you with contact lenses that make you 0.50 diopters hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) and you try them durin all waking hours for a couple of weeks. The theory that a little hyperopia is not a problem may not survive the reality of living with it. If you find that this small amount of hyperopia is actually not a problem, then you have one issue less to worry about.

I am always glad to research and respond to patient questions. I definitely don't have all the answers, but sometimes I can provide a little clarity.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago