four month update

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

four month update

Postby floatanddry » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:08 pm

So I thought I would post my four update to the site after my latest doctor's visit. Summary, I had wavefront lasik in August, correcting moderate myopia and astigmatism. My refraction as of now is:

Left sph 0.00 cyl .50
Right sph 0.0. cyl 1.25

I have some remaining astigmatism in both my eyes, which I tend to notice only in low light situations. I was given the option for enhancement, and I declined. I'll get a weak pair of glasses to deal with this. My personal goal was to not need glasses for recreation (swimming / running / skiing / camping) and my goal was met for that. Using glasses in other daily life never was a big deal to me, so I figure to leave well enough alone. Plus I really don't want to have dry eye again like experienced the first couple of months. I also believe that this would also cause some overcorrection for my spherical correction based on the understading you have to hit both when correcting for one. Glenn, can you explain this a little more?

I am still left with these floaters, which still bother me. On some days it's better than others, and I am hopefully they'll be less bothersome in the future. Overall, I'm still negative on my lasik experience because of them, which is unfortunate because otherwise I'd be happy. I've gotten some great medical advice on floaters from medhelp.org which was great for me personally.

I'll post my status again after my 6 month checkup. I appreciate the stories that get finished on this site, so I'll try to do the same.
floatanddry

Postby dark7angelx07 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:00 pm

How much astigmatism do you have in your eyes? I had astigmatism before lasik and I just have -.75 astigmatism in my right eye at the 1-month checkup. I can see 20/20 but it does get irritating sometimes

Did your astigmatism go down, after the first month? How much change did have since your surgery?
dark7angelx07

Postby floatanddry » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:06 pm

.50 left
.1.25 right

I got a pair of glasses based on this prescription. The only times I am using them is for night driving (or foggy daytime driving). It sharpens things up and night, and during the day I can't tell a difference with my work and life (ie computers and meetings) so I don't bother with them. They really only make a difference at night time. If I wore them in the day I think I would improve from 20/25 > 20/20. So not a big deal - it does make it tempting to think about an enhancement, but I am not going to do it.

The astigmatism became much less annoying after a couple of months. I think my brain adjusted to this, primarily because my dominant eye has the greater error I think.

Glenn, if there is no other refractive error left, could an astigmatism correction like this be corrected without effecting myopia?

FD
floatanddry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Due to the physics of vision correction surgery like Lasik, for every 1.00 diopter (D) of astigmatism correction there is an automatic correction for myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) that ranges from about 0.25 D to 0.45 D. This coupling is problematic for someone who has only astigmatism, however it is possible for a knowledgeable surgeon to adjust the correction to attempt to resolve the coupling so its effect is minimal. You would need to discuss your unique situation with your surgeon.

Regular corneal astigmatism means that the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. The "tip of the spoon" focuses light off center and out of focus. The likely reason that you don't need correction in daylight is because your pupils are naturally small and light passing through the tip only reaches inside the eye in low light environments when the pupils are large.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby croanster » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:22 am

So in my situation, the eye that is giving me trouble is +0.75 -0.75 20. Would this be something that would likely leave me myopic if corrected due to this coupling effect?

I think I'd rather stay a little bit on the plus side of things since thats what I'm used to.

Thanks.
croanster

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:00 am

Because you have hyperopia plus astigmatism the coupling effect is able to be accommodated with relatively good predictability. It is when you are plano (no hyperopia, no myopia) and have astigmatism that is much more challenging. You will want to discuss the details with your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago