Change In Lasers to be used

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Change In Lasers to be used

Postby MightyMan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi,
I have been considering Laser vision correction for a while now. The first time I went in for a consultation (about 7 months ago) I was offered VISX Star S/4 for about $3000.00.
I waited 7 months and I decided to go with the surgery. But they told me that testing had to be redone. So now they say the best way for me to go is to use the CustomVue/Lifetime/IntraLase for about $ 4000.00 or the CustomVue/Lifetime Acuity which is supposed to be PRK for about $3400.00.
My concern is why do they offer me different lasers? Did technology chaneg that much?
I am not concerned with cost, I just want what is best for my eyes.
Thanks for any help!
MightyMan

Re: Change In Lasers to be used

Postby MightyMan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:41 pm

MightyMan wrote:Hi,
I have been considering Laser vision correction for a while now. The first time I went in for a consultation (about 7 months ago) I was offered VISX Star S/4 for about $3000.00.
I waited 7 months and I decided to go with the surgery. But they told me that testing had to be redone. So now they say the best way for me to go is to use the CustomVue/Lifetime/IntraLase for about $ 4000.00 or the CustomVue/Lifetime Acuity which is supposed to be PRK for about $3400.00.
My concern is why do they offer me different lasers? Did technology chaneg that much?
I am not concerned with cost, I just want what is best for my eyes.
Thanks for any help!

I forgot to mention that the decision on which laser to use will be made by the doctor minutes before surgery. Is that normal?
MightyMan

Postby Chow Yun Fat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:48 pm

Where in Illinois are you from?
Chow Yun Fat

Postby MightyMan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 am

Chicago land area, what does that have to do with anything?

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still looking for help/answers.
MightyMan

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:03 am

MightyMan wrote:My concern is why do they offer me different lasers? Did technology chaneg that much?

They did not change the lasers. "CustomVue" is the brand name for when the Visx Star S/4 excimer laser is used in wavefront-guided mode. There have not been major changes in the last seven months.

Intralase is a brand name for a femtosecond laser that is used to create the Lasik flap. This is often called IntraLasik or All-Laser Lasik.

The advantage of PRK over Lasik or All-Laser Lasik is that there is no Lasik flap. No Lasik flap means no possibility of a Lasik flap related complication during surgery or for the rest of your life. Although the probability of a Lasik flap complication is relatively small, no possibility is almost always better than a low probability.

The disadvantage of PRK is that it has a slow vision recovery compared to successful Lasik's almost instant vision recovery. With successful PRK you would have very poor vision of 1-3 days, "functional fuzzy" vision for 1-3 weeks, and the crisp vision you seek will slowly develop as the epithelium regenerates, thickens, and smooths. It can be faster, but if you expect this type of recovery then you will not likely be surprised.

In the long-term PRK may be better, but most of us don't "see" long-term. Since Lasik is considered safe and effective and is more convenient, it remains much more popular.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby MightyMan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 am

Thank You for the insight! I am still deciding if I want to go ahead with the treatment or no.
This is a great site, I am very thankful for your thoughts and knowledge.
MightyMan

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:22 am

I'm glad that we can be of service. We really do want people to be confident in their decisions about vision correction surgery.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Chow Yun Fat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:25 am

In Chicago, I don't think you can find Intralase for $3,000. Therefore I'm assuming that the $3K price was for using a microkeratome (blade) to create the flap.

I'm speculating that perhaps (7 months later) your lasik center is dedicated to only do bladeless procedures. Offering Intralase for $4,000 and PRK for $3,400 for those that want to spend less.
Chow Yun Fat

Postby beingbobbyorr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:46 am

LasikExpert wrote:They did not change the lasers. "CustomVue" is the brand name for when the Visx Star S/4 excimer laser is used in wavefront-guided mode. There have not been major changes in the last seven months.

Intralase is a brand name for a femtosecond laser that is used to create the Lasik flap. This is often called IntraLasik or All-Laser Lasik.

Glenn --

I would suggest -- if you haven't done so already and I just haven't stumbled across it -- that you put together a 'fact sheet' page on this website (similar to the following) ....

http://www.usaeyes.org/faq/subjects/devices.htm
http://www.usaeyes.org/faq/subjects/which_laser.htm
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-cle-iol-rle.htm
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-monovision.htm
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik- ... stions.htm
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik- ... -p-iol.htm

.... titled "Marketing Cross-Reference" whose key component is a table showing the generic term in one column and the vendor-specific 're-branding' term in the other columns to the right (with a header at the top for the company name(s)). The propensity for firms to rename things that already have well-accepted names is exasperating, and anything you can do to alleviate the confusion is appreciated.
beingbobbyorr

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:58 pm

We did have such a page, however it became outdated as new approvals were issued and the volunteer who maintained the page was no longer able to keep it up to date.

The other source that is close to what you suggest is the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/lasik
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It