IntraLase Custom Lasik on 12/20/2007

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

IntraLase Custom Lasik on 12/20/2007

Postby des » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi Everybody,

First of all, I would like to thank everybody who posted in this forum. This forum has helped me made an inform decision to go ahead with lasik. Now it is my turn to post my lasik experience in this forum. Hope this posting will help others who are still trying to decide.

About me:
Day job: engineer. I use computer the whole day (> 8 hours/day) and also look at tiny parts on notebook motherboards to make measurements.
Hobbies: reading, painting, drawing and photography.
So, as you can see I relied on good sights to perform my job as well as do the things I like to do in my spare time.

My sight pre-lasik:
Right: -7.50 with astigmatism -1.25
Left: -7.00 with astigmatism -1.25
I’ve worn glasses since I was 8 years old and started wearing contacts when I was in 8th grade.
I hated wearing contacts though because my eyes felt dry whenever I wore contacts. I wore glasses most of the time except when I did outdoor activities.

My lasik procedure:
I had IntraLase with custom Lasik done on 12/20/07.
The procedure on the left eye went smoothly.
The doc told me my right eye had an abrasion. So, he had to put a bandage contact on my right eye.
The biggest moment for me was when I sat up from the surgery table and was able to see the clock on the wall clearly even though my sight was still a bit hazy. Can’t remember when was the last time I was able to do that without glasses or contact.
I took 4 hours nap as soon as I got home. When I got up my left eye felt really dry. My right eye felt ok. So, I put some drops on both eyes.
Didn’t do much that day except for napping.

1-day post lasik:
Still a bit hazy. My husband drove me to the doctor for my post-op appointment Was told that my left eye is looking good. The doc removed the contact from my right eye and told me to take another nap once I get home since my right eye still has some abrasions.
I’m cleared to drive during the day but was told to not drive at night yet until after my 1-week appointment.

5-day post lasik:
I am seeing clearer and clearer. My eyes still feel dry especially at night but I keep up with the drops.
I am not seeing starbursts at all at night. I’m only seeing halo but it’s getting better now. My sight during the day is comparable to when I was wearing contacts (with glasses was a bit clearer). The only difference is I’m now more light sensitive. I have to wear sunglasses whenever I’m outdoor now.
I have 1-week check-up with my doc this Friday.
Will keep everyone updated on my progress.
des

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:35 am

Thanks for the detailed report!

Light sensitivity does seem to be more common when the Lasik flap is created with a femtosecond laser instead of a mechanical microkeratome. It is normally a short-term problem. Be sure to report this problem to your doctor at your next checkup.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby des » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:12 am

12/28/2007 - 1 week post lasik check-up:

Just had my 1-week post-op check up today. I'm 20/25 on my right eye and my left eye and 20/20 with both eyes. I'm very happy with this result.
According to my doctor, I don't have to use the FredForte and Zymar drops anymore. Just continue using the lubricating drops.
She said the flaps are healing well. She didn't see any problem with the healing.

Told her that my eyes feel dry especially at night and she said that that's expected. Especially after only 1 week. Just continue using the Refresh Plus drop which I will do.

Also, told her that I'm still seeing halo at night. She said that will take about a month to get better. So, I guess I will have to wait and see.

As for my light sensitivity, she said, that's also expected. I just have to wear my sun glasses during the day while outside. She also mentioned that the light sensitivity might not go away completely. I guess I'm ok with this since I don't mind wearing sun glasses when I'm outside anyway. In fact, I've always wanted to wear those nice sun glasses. I wasn't able to do that before since I never really liked wearing contacts...:)

So far, all I can say is I'm really happy with the result of lasik. I am able to see without glasses and after 20+ yrs wearing glasses, this certainly is very nice for me.

My next check is in January (1 month lasik). Will keep you guys updated with my progress.
des

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:25 am

des wrote:Told her that my eyes feel dry especially at night...

You may want to give your doctor's office a call and ask if using a nighttime gel lubricant for your eyes would be okay. Something like Refresh PM. You would use the gel just before going to bed because your vision will appear smeared (think Vasiline for the eyes), but it does a great job at lubrication. You can purchase it over the counter.

I look forward to seeing your one month report.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby des » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, LasikExpert. I will call my doctor on Monday to ask whether it's ok to use Refresh PM at night.
des

Postby des » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:30 am

1/10/2008 - almost 3 weeks after lasik:

Just want to give a quick updates.
My dry eyes problem is getting lots better this past week or so. I don't have to use the drops too often during the day anymore and I can tolerate working with computer for > 8 hours a day now. I just have to use the drops in the morning before I leave for work and about 2 - 3 times while I'm working.
My eyes still feel tired and a bit dry at night but as long as I keep using the drops, I'm fine.

Halo problem at night is not as bad anymore. The halo is getting smaller now but it hasn't gone away totally. I'm hoping that this problem will disappear eventually.
des

Postby nallarano » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:46 pm

your eyes were about the same as mine before and after,I had mine done 5/2/07.It only gets better!haze and halos go away in about 3 months to six months.
nallarano

Postby des » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:54 pm

1/18/2007 - 1 month check-up:

I had my 1 month check-up last week. Reading the 20/20 line was pretty easy with both right eye only and left eye only. I was able to read the 20/10 line but I had to guess some of them. My doctor did the refraction check. I had 0 on one eye and -0.5 on the other eye.
My doctor also said that she still saw some dry spots on my eyes (she said my eyes were like a car that just been waxed -- water won't stay on the surface). She told me to continue using the lubricating drops.

I noticed that my sight is much improved now. I can see far and mid distance without any problems. I can tolerate working with the computer more as well. During the day, I don't have to use the lubricating drops too often (now I use it about 3 - 4 times during the day).
However, my eyes still feel tired if I work with my computer late at night. I think this is mainly caused by my dry eyes problem. As long as I remember to put the lubricating drops often (every 30 - 60 min), I'm ok.
des

Postby yank » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Good to hear your vision is improving! After a month, has your night vision improved too?
yank

Postby des » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:04 pm

My night vision is definitely improving. I felt the biggest difference around week 3.
I am still seeing a little bit of halo on bright white or yellow lights (headlights) at night but it's not bothering me too much anymore. I am also still seeing starburst but not too bad.
I was seeing halo and starburst before the lasik with my glasses at night anyway. So, I can say that my night vision is now pretty much back to where I was before lasik with glasses (much clearer than I was with contacts).
I'm hoping this will keep improving.
des

Return to Just Had It