cornea to thin for laisk

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

cornea to thin for laisk

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Wed May 31, 2006 6:12 am

Hi,
I just had my eye check up for lasik but was told that my corneal is too thin(only 43mm ).Would it be possible to do lasik at your side in this case?
If not possible wat are the other alternatives for those with thin corneal or will tere be other better surgery as good as lasik in the near future that allow people with thin corneal to have our problem corrected?
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 31, 2006 6:13 am

I think that your cornea is 430 microns thick, rather than 43mm. 430 is on the thin side.

The surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, and Epi-LASIK do not require the LASIK flap of tissue. This saves about 100-160 microns of corneal tissue. Depending upon your refractive error, the long-term results from the surface ablation techniques are similar to the long-term results from LASIK, however there is a slightly slower visual recovery and more discomfort with surface ablation.

The amount of tissue that needs to be removed - and thereby if your corneas are thick enough - depends upon the size of your naturally dilated pupils and the amount of refractive error that needs to be corrected. Depending upon your prescription, you may or may not be an appropriate candidate for PRK, LASEK, or Epi-LASIK. I suggest you read http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-pupil-size.htm
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It