My lasek experience and a couple of questions.

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

My lasek experience and a couple of questions.

Postby stinger » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Hello everyone. Been lurking on the boards for a while now and find the advice given out a great help.

I had epi-lasek with wavefront exactly 12 weeks ago today. My original prescription was -3.75 and -4.00. cant remember what eye was what. Anyway, straight afer surgery i noticed a huge difference and after the bandage lenses came out at 4 days things seemed to be improving alot. My left eye was dragging behind although with both eyes it was hard to notice. My reading vision was rubbish for a good few weeks but is now better than ever. At my 6 week check with both eyes I could read the 2nd line from the bottom of the chart however my left was struggling to get to 6/12 and had bad ghosting. I was happy enough even though the optician said that he thought the left wouldn't improve.

Now at 12 weeks i think the right has gotten a bit worse. I have ghosting which makes it hard to read certain types of text, if i squint it goes into focus and often stays focused even when i stop squinting its a bit bizarre.

My surgery provider told me to use the anti inflammitory drops (FML) as follows first 3 weeks 4 times a day, then 3 weeks 3 times a day, 3 weeks 2 times a day, 3 weeks once a day and then stop. I stopped these FML drops yesterday. My eyes have also been a bit dry and i'm thinking that may make my vision a bit fuzzy. It seems a long time to use these drops.

Basically my question is can these FML drops affect my vision and now i'm off them is it possible i will get improvements? Also even after 3 months is there a possibility that my corneas are still swollen?

Thanks for any replies.
stinger

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Astigmatism can cause the ghosting symptoms you describe and astigmatism can be caused by inflammation of the cornea. The anti-inflammatory drops can reduce the cause of the ghosting.

Dry eyes can cause or exacerbate astigmatism, and can cause inflammation. Agressive dry eye treatment may be needed to get back in balance.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby stinger » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks Glenn.

Been off the FML drops just over a week now and i've noticed an improvment in the ghosting. Right eye has gottten worse though vision wise which i had noticed and confirmed at my 12 week check. So it looks like a retreat might be on the cards in 3 months time. What worries me is that i'll be put on the FML drops for another 3 months. Do you think this is unsafe Glenn?

Thanks.
stinger

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:15 pm

A primary concern with long-term steroid use is an increase in intraocular pressure (IOP). This can be monitored to be sure the steroids are not causing any permanent problems.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby stinger » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:08 pm

I've found something a bit strange. When I look through a slit, say on a piece of card my vision goes perfect. Any idea why this might be?

Thanks.
stinger

Postby croanster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 pm

croanster

Postby stinger » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:49 pm

thanks croanster. Does this astigmatism go away? I never had it before the laser. Optician never mentioned it at last visit either! Bit worried really.
stinger

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 pm

stinger wrote:Does this astigmatism go away?

That depends upon why it is there. If it is due to inflammation or dry eye, resolution of these problems can totally resolve the astigmatism. If it was induced during surgery, glasses, contact lenses, or enhancement surgery may be recommended.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago