Is there a Dr. in the house (or at least recommendation!)

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is there a Dr. in the house (or at least recommendation!)

Postby slim » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:00 am

Hi all, I'm new to the board but not to the topic as I've been one of those "on the fence" people for the last 8 years. I've read through tons of the posts here (along with some horror stories) and thank you all for sharing as it's been very helpful in my research.

I've been to a few consultations over the years but in particular became more aggresive this year and actually made a tentative surgery date appointment ~ which was initially for Custom Lasik. This was based on scan that I had performed earlier in the year and since it was so far back they wanted to have me come in for a rescan (I already did the dialated exam with my personal doctor). On the later scan however, which included a newer machine, they said there were some inconsitencies in thickness with the cornea on one of my eyes and felt Lasik would not be ideal but rather PRK. I was a little peeved as if I had gone forward with the surgery a few months earlier the same place would have performed Lasik on me. In any case, after further research I actually am preferring PRK over Lasik so it ended up being a good thing.

In either case, this particular place was recommended by a couple people I know and although they come across as professional they are one of those chain/cookie-cutter establishments and hostly haven't seem to have spoken to the same consultant more than once at the place and have never met the surgeon face to face; although he did call me directly to review my latest results over the phone and his thoughts around PRK. They also have been honest up front and even though I was quoted one price earlier in the year they dropped their prices significantly (by 1k total) since my next visit and brought it to my attention and adjusted pricing accordingly. Money really isn't the case however when it comes to my eyes.

So here's my question... the one common thing that I noticed during while going through the forum is that it's a big no-no to mention specific doctor's names, businesses, etc... I know there are some doctor's listed on the site, the 50 question sheet, and other recommendations while searching for doctors but was hoping to possibly get some first hand experience as well from people on this board ~ even being offline email.

I'm located in the Boston area and my consultation has been at one of the big chains which have offices out here and an excellent marketing campaign with a very big sporting figure as their main rep (which I'm sure is getting paid handsomely)... I believe it's even been mentioned in the same fashion on other posts. Again people have been great, just not very personalized...

I have been given a recommendation for another doctor that have several stellar reviews from people I know first hand however they have all had Lasik done by this doctor... although he does roughly 10-20 sets of eyes a month for PRK. I have an appointment next week with him and was surprised to hear he was actually going to be doing the initial assessment himself - not have someone else do it and then review the results.

So if anyone is from the Boston area and has had exposure with "the chain" or any or facilities I'd love to hear feedback... again I realize we can't drop names on the board but on the side is okay right?

Thanks again for sharing your experience!
slim

Postby floatanddry » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:26 am

You may want to visit one of the medical school facilities in the boston area with refractive practices. There are multiple, and all are supposed to be first class.
floatanddry

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:51 am

Anyone who would like to email you directly is more than welcome to provide direct referral. It seems that you are aware of the important issues. With the 50 Tough Questions For Your Doctor as a helpful guide, I'm sure you will be able to make an informed decision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It