Astignitism worse after Lasek?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Astignitism worse after Lasek?

Postby Finley07 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:25 am

I am 4 week post Lasek and went to my regular eye doctor and he stated that my left eye has a worse astignitism than prior to surgery. Does anyone know if this is normal, or the odds of it happening? My right eye is doing better but still seeing double with both. Left eye quite a bit more. I fell better after going to my doctor because I am not getting good answers from the place I had it done. I feel better knowing that I have no swelling and that my cornea is good.
Finley07

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Astigmatism means that the cornea is not sphericial like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. The "tip" of the spoon will focus some light off center and out of focus. This can cause ghosting or doubled vision with the affected eye.

LASEK has a much slower and irregular healing process than Lasik or even PRK. For many the vision is functional immediately after surgery, gets a bit worse at 3-5 weeks postop, and then improves in the weeks after.

It is possible that the surgery induced more astigmatism, but at one month postop it seems quite likely that you are still dealing with some healing issues. Corneal edema (inflammation) is relatively common in the weeks immediately after surgery and can induce or exacerbate astigmatism. LASEK related dry eyes can cause or exacerbate astigmatism.

I suggest that you don't make any conclusions about your outcome until at least three months postop. If you have astigmatism at that time, discuss with your surgeon if enhancement surgery would be appropriate and what other options you may have available.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It