Basic Monovision Questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Basic Monovision Questions

Postby skhuff » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:53 am

I had lasik - monovision almost two weeks ago.

My night vision is fine. There is still some discomfort but becoming less as the days go by.

My real concern comes with how this Monovision works.

Both eyes see well for long distance. My distance vision is at 20/15 in my dominant eye and 20/20 in the eye that should be used for my close vision.

Needless to say I am not seeing up close without readers. Faces are blurry.

I was told that with time they should adjust. My question is shouldn't I be seeing up close with my one eye that is not dominant. I thought this time of adjustment was for allowing your eyes and brain to hook up with which eye to use for the correct distance.

Thank you.
skhuff

Postby SteveR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:28 am

Hi skhuff,

If you were originally short-sighted you could yet regress to becoming a little more short-sighted over the next weeks or months, especially if you originally had a high minus prescription.

It can also take time for the brain to sort out the new rules for convergence and accomodation without glasses, though I've little knowledge on the magnitude or duration of these affects.
SteveR

Postby skhuff » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks SteveR!

The reassurance and information is helpful. This can be a very scarey process. The more you wait, the more anxious you become.

I will be patient and see what the next day brings.
skhuff

Postby SteveR » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:35 am

Hi skhuff,

Yeah patience is necessary. I’m not quite old enough to suffer the (full) affects of presbyopia, though I do get an inkling of what it will be like when wearing contact lenses at night, and don’t like it. My aim will be to made a little shortsighted at distance rather than being hopeless up-close. My target prescription was originally to be (0.00, -1.25), monovision, but I think I will aim for being a little short-sighted in both eyes.

Incidentally on the issue of sudden onset presbyopia (which I previously considered a myth or a symptom of over-correction into long-sightedness), is also due to a real refractive disparity between wearing glasses and unaided vision (or equivalently contact aided, or LASIK corrected myopes). Looking through glasses is different to looking through contact lenses, from the perspective of accommodation and convergence. A myope has more difficulty seeing close-up using contacts (or after LASIK) than when wearing glasses, and this affect is reversed in the long-sighted.

A tricky subject, and for those interested in some of the the technicalities and optical principles, the following is great, though pretty heavy:
http://www.medrounds.org/optics-review/2006/05/26.html
Therefore, the myope who discards his spectacle lenses in favor of contact lenses, must converge more to bi-fixate a given near object, while the hyperope will converge less under the same conditions.
SteveR

Return to Just Had It