post-op recovery plans

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

post-op recovery plans

Postby slim » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:07 am

I've been researching PRK and have been to a couple doctors and have noticed procedures along with post-op recovery plans seem to differ from place to place.

One surgeon in particular that came highly recommended and had the usual laundry list of credentials. While reviewing the process one thing that seemed different was his use of what I believe was Mitomycin and that right after the surgery he applies to this each eye for a number of seconds and is substantially reduces the chance of haze. Also the time on steriod drops is substantially reduced because of this step saying that prior to this one would potentially be on a series of drops for months .vs. a couple weeks at this point. He also does not prescribe the numbing drops that people have spoken about due to it's impact on the healing process and also doesn't use alcohol for the epithelium remove and has a manual process to remove it chemical free (which promotes better healing in the end).

This seems contrary to a lot of the post-op recovery plans that I've read on the board. As mentioned this is an extremely reputable surgeon and a lot of what explained made sense although different from the typical process I've read a lot about.
slim

Postby slim » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Eeek, just did more research on this Mitomycin C and although it does the job it sounds like pretty scary stuff. He did say that it was used on each eye for a very minimal amount of time (12 sec) but considering my script it seems like it may be a bit excessive?

R S:-2.50 C:-1.25, A:102
L S:-1.75 C: -1.25, A:93

Again a very reputable doctor with a boat load of experience so maybe it's simply in his plan for all PRK procedures??
slim

Return to Thinking About It