Cataract in one eye after almost 2 yrs of Custom Lasik

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Cataract in one eye after almost 2 yrs of Custom Lasik

Postby MS » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:17 pm

I had custom lasik surgery done 2 years ago. I just went in for a general checkup last month. I wasn't facing any conscious problem as such. During the checkup the Doc found that I had Cataract in my left eye. I am 31 and was totally taken aback. He told me that it could have been caused due to any had injury a lot of years ago.
I left it at that. Its only today that I have read about other people that have cataract soon after Lasik. Is there any study to support this or any website that I can look up for more information on the above?
MS

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:48 am

There are no studies that show Lasik or similar laser vision correction techniques cause cataracts. There are patients who develop cataracts shortly after Lasik, but no direct correlation has ever been established.

It sounds like the cataract may have existed prior to your Lasik. For peace of mind you may want to check with your previous doctors if a cataract was noted in your medical chart. Your current doctor can provide detailed infomation as to size and location, which may help your other doctors affirm if it was pre-existing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago