Some questions about astigmatism

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Some questions about astigmatism

Postby drw » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:12 am

Hello there!

Some sites on the i-net says that mild astigmatism is 0-2D, average is 2-4D and high is 4-6D. How do you put down this in these kind of ranges. Is it just statistics that are saying for an example that average astigmatism is between 2-4D because some kind of percentage of the population has it as an average from a normal distribution curve? Where the mild astigmatism is just to the left and high astigmatism is put to the right? How uncommon or how common is for example astigmatism of -5?

I would be very interested to read if there are any general statistics of common refraction errors from a general population. It would be interesting to read more about who has hyperopia, myopia etc and if its also combined with astigmatism, in spheres, cylinders, axis.

Another question that might be quite dumb but is there any simulators out there that can simulate the cornea from a prescription? It would be nice to just understand how the optics works.
drw

Re: Some questions about astigmatism

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:06 pm

Mild, average, and high would relate not only to the percentage of people who have that particular range of astigmatism, but also to the difficulty of correction.

drw wrote:I would be very interested to read if there are any general statistics of common refraction errors from a general population.

You may want to visit PubMed.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Some questions about astigmatism

Postby drw » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:31 am

Thank you for your answer.
drw