one year later, still in need of artificial tear

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

one year later, still in need of artificial tear

Postby kev999 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:46 pm

is this normal? my doctor told me right after the surgery to use it for a year. i feel i still can't live without it after one year. i'm using Allergan Refresh Tears btw.
kev999

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:17 am

If you still require artificial tears one year after Lasik then your problem requires a more agressive management or it could be the artifical tears are actually a cause of the problem.

Refresh Tearsuse a preservative. All artificial tear preservatives are a mild toxin designed to kill what would otherwise grow in the solution. Each time you use them, you are applying a toxin to your eye. For most situations this is not a problem, but I recommend you switch to a preservative-free artificial tear and see if that makes a difference.

Have you had your tear quantity and tear quality tested? Is it possible that you do not require the artificial tears, but use them as a preventive measure?

If you do have dry eye, you may be a candidate for Restasis.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kev999 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:16 pm

LasikExpert wrote:If you still require artificial tears one year after Lasik then your problem requires a more agressive management or it could be the artifical tears are actually a cause of the problem.

Refresh Tearsuse a preservative. All artificial tear preservatives are a mild toxin designed to kill what would otherwise grow in the solution. Each time you use them, you are applying a toxin to your eye. For most situations this is not a problem, but I recommend you switch to a preservative-free artificial tear and see if that makes a difference.

Have you had your tear quantity and tear quality tested? Is it possible that you do not require the artificial tears, but use them as a preventive measure?

If you do have dry eye, you may be a candidate for Restasis.

i think it's becoming a habit now to use artificial tear once a while. i can't really say i absolutely need it but just feel more comfortable with it after watching tv or staring at a computer screen for a long stretch of time.
kev999

Return to Had It A While Ago