Deciding about enhancements

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Deciding about enhancements

Postby Waiting » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I am scheduled for enhancements on both eyes on Jan 23. I had my initial Lasik on Oct. 5 and have done very well post-surgery.
My vision has settled out to about -1 in the right eye and -1.25 in the left. (I started at -10 in both eyes.)
I've been reading about those folks who have had only one eye corrected to preserve the up-close reading abilities but since I can't stand having one eye more corrected than the other, I am going ahead and having them both done knowing that I will need reading glasses after the enhancement.
I guess my question here is, am I making the right decision to have both eyes re-done? I will be leaving for vacation 5 weeks after surgery and am wondering if my eyes will be OK for a plane trip and "fun in the sun"?
Thanks for any feedback you all have!
PS
Waiting

Re: Deciding about enhancements

Postby Walt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:19 am

Waiting wrote:I am scheduled for enhancements on both eyes on Jan 23. I had my initial Lasik on Oct. 5 and have done very well post-surgery.
My vision has settled out to about -1 in the right eye and -1.25 in the left. (I started at -10 in both eyes.)
~~~
I guess my question here is, am I making the right decision to have both eyes re-done? I will be leaving for vacation 5 weeks after surgery and am wondering if my eyes will be OK for a plane trip and "fun in the sun"?
Thanks for any feedback you all have!
PS

Let me answer your question with my own experience. I am 49, male and my pre-op vision was -2.5 in each eye. 4 weeks after surgery I am +.75 in the left eye and + 1 in the right eye. This caused my near, middle and distance vision to be blurry. I require glasses for reading (a given at my age), TV and computer use. I can drive OK but wouldn't want to venture through new streets quite yet as the signs sometimes are a challenge.. If my eyes don't regress further during the healing process I will get a retreatment but if they overcorrect again at least it will be in my comfort zone so to speak. Having Hyperopia and Presbyopia together sucks.

I have one question. Starting at -10 eyes have a habit of regressing, are you sure your eyes are stable? I personally would wait until you came back from vacation to have it done. Give your eyes a couple more months to ensure everything is stable. But that's me.

Good Luck let us know how it goes.
Walt

Postby grumpyteach » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:13 am

My enhancements are happening on the 24th! Snap! Good luck!
grumpyteach

Postby Waiting » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:31 pm

Thanks for the comments. I should also mention that I'm hitting 50 next month and have known for some time that reading glasses were in my future. I am thinking that I will go ahead with the enhancement on both eyes mostly because I would rather use glasses when I read and not have to bother with them the rest of the time....rather than have glasses on ALL the time and take them off when I read (which is what I'm doing now.)
As for the vacation plans.....my doctor assured me that I would be ready to travel at the end of next month. I have been very stable as far as changes in my eye sight for the last 2 months (follow up checks) and in fact my doctor was discussing enhancement with me last month as a prelude to my visit yesterday. I have also been using the Flax seed capsules everyday since the last surgery and have been free of drops for the last 2 months.
I'll keep posting after surgery next week!
Waiting

Postby Judy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Dear Waiting: I agree with Walt and would wait till more like the 6 months mark. Those of us over 45 take a bit longer to heal. I can tell a big difference now at 6 months than I did at 3 months. I am overcorrected and in sudden presbyopia. I cannot tell you the ajustment this requires. You think you understand but till it happens yo9u cant imagine. I am going to my 6 month checkup ready to discuss enhancement and I am going to do one eye at a time. Good luck to you on your decision and whatever you decide I am sure it will be fine. Just remember patience is the most important part of this journey.
Judy

Postby rosecmd » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:37 pm

I'm scheduled for my enhancement on Feb 8th, but am thinking about waiting longer. I will be at about 7 months on Feb 8th. I'm 48, and was -3.5 or so nearsighted and a little presbyopic prior to lasik and was overcorrected to +.75 and +1.00. However, my distance vision outside is great (20/25 & 20/30) and inside my distance and mid-range vision continues to improve. Even my near vision is improving a bit. I'm thinking of cancelling my surgery and waiting another 2 months. I had a lot of problems with dry eye and it took a long time to heal and I don't know if I can go through that again. I found that while I had some results right away, my dry eye really hindered healing. I've been on Restasis for 6 months now, and just started to use flax again. Still need drops here and there during the day and have mild dry eyes in the morning. NO easy answers with with the enhancement decision.
rosecmd

Parallel stories of Rose and Judy

Postby Judy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 am

As always Rose we are right on target together. My dry eyes have pretty much ended. I still drop some in when I notice, but mostly dont need to do so. My vision in stores (what many call super store syndrome) has significantly improved just in the past few months. I really think it is best not to rush to enhancement. Not for those of over 45. We have a few issues the younger ones just dont have. I am just now at 6 months and will scedule an optomotrist visit for a second opinion as to how well I am seeing at distance. I am not satisfied that just because I can blurry read the 20/30 line and can guess a few on the 20/25 that I am that good. The surgeon seems to want to call me a sight reader of 29/25-30, but I still do not see street signs well unless fairly close. Adequate but not great. The midvision seems to have cleared nicely though in the last few months. I still notice low light is a problem. I have a feeling that will not really improve much. Not sure what causes that but I read it over and over on this board. As always I go forward with patience and caution. Rose please keep posting about your enhancement as I am right behind you in the process and I value your story. J
Judy

Postby rosecmd » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:47 pm

Judy, I'll keep you posted and grumpyteach, please post about your enhancement experience after you have it on the 24th.
rosecmd

Return to Had It A While Ago