Concered about Overcorrection - Poor Vision One Month Out

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Concered about Overcorrection - Poor Vision One Month Out

Postby overcorrectedjw » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:34 pm

:( :?:
I'm a 47-year-old male who underwent Custom IntraLasik with a well regarded surgeon on January 10, 2008 and am experiencing some difficulties. My uncorrected vision prior to the surgery was Right -775 SPH, -150 CYL, 20 AXIS; Left -825 SPH, -125 CYL, 175 AXIS. Note that I had corrective surgery for ambliopia as a young child. My corrected vision with glasses was pretty good - but not quite 20/20 - with the vision in my right eye being a bit better. I was struggling with small print prior to the surgery. At my one-week visit yesterday, the surgeon told my that I was slightly overcorrected (he mentioned 0.5, which I assume is for each eye based on my current vision). When I was shown a portion of the eye chart during the exam, every letter was blurry and I was barely able to make out the first two lines on the portion of the chart shown. I'm hoping that he was candid about the degree of overcorrection. With some correction, though, all the letters became pretty clear (much sharper). Since the surgery, my up-close vision has certainly improved, but everything is still a bit blurry. My newly acquired reading glasses (+1.50) are necessary for me to read small print (such as in a newspaper). I can just barely read the enlarged print on my computer monitor without any reading glasses, but it's slightly uncomfortable as my vision isn't crisp. As for my distance vision, I cannot quite make out book titles from several feet away. I can see highway and street signs only when fairly close to them. Unless I'm imagining things, my distance vision seems to have deteriorated since the days just after my surgery. Whereas I could read license plates from a distance initially, that has become more difficult. The surgeon mentioned that with my degree of correction, I should expect some regression (back toward nearsighted from mildly farsighted). I'm going to see him in two weeks. He said that by then he'll have a better idea as to whether I may need an enhancement procedure (at three months out). While I can function now, my overall vision is not good. I understand that the combination of hyperopia (even slight) with presbyopia makes for all-round poor vision. Can this slight overcorrection really cause my current vision difficulties? I'm wondering how likely it is that my vision will significantly improve with the expected regression. Also, I wonder just how difficult it is to fix this overcorrection through an enhancement procedure if the regression doesn't do the trick. Am I likely to get to plano from the current +0.5 through regression or enhancement? Thanks and regards.
overcorrectedjw

Re: Concered about Overcorrection - Poor Vision One Month Ou

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm

overcorrectedjw wrote:Can this slight overcorrection really cause my current vision difficulties?

Absolutely, especially when in combination with the normal difficulties immediately after Lasik.

overcorrectedjw wrote:I'm wondering how likely it is that my vision will significantly improve with the expected regression.

It is very likely that you will experience changes over the next few weeks. Regression from hyperiopia (farsighted, longsighted) and possibly even back slightly into myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) is likely. A small amount of myopia may reduce your distance vision quality, but may also reduce the need for reading glasses.

You may also be dealing with residual or induced astigmatism problems. Corneal irregularities can occur during the initial healing period. The regression does not always occur evenly. This too can contribute to poor vision quality.

It is much too early in the healing process to come to any conclusions. Keep your surgeon informed of your problems and let us know how things progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rosecmd » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:44 pm

Your surgery was one week ago? Ah, the lasik healing process. For some people, it takes months to get a final result. As you know from reading other posts here, it can take some people a full six months to really get the full & stable results from their initial surgery. I know what you are going through because I am 48, had my surgery 6 months ago, and need an enhancement because I, too, was overcorrected -- first they said by .5 dioptors in each eye, but really, it's .75 in one and 1 in the other. As you are finding out, layering even a small amount of hyperopia over any presbyopia makes for a poor quality of near, mid-range, and even distance vision. You have lost the natural "protection" your former nearsightedness gave you from your presbyopia and have been hit full on with sudden presbyopia made worse by a small amount of farsightedness. What to do? Well, just take it day by day and wait it out. Your vision will likely fluctuate over the coming months. Take vigorous care of your eyes and leap on any dry eye symptoms as dry eye will only make your situation worse until the natural course of healing occurs and your vision stabilizes. Now, six months out, my distance vision is pretty good. However, I really need to do something about my poor than need be near and mid-range vision. The last thing I want to do is a second surgery, but that is what I am doing. I really dread going through the healing process again...but now, I feel like I know what I'm in for and I know that I will more than likely come out better in the end. Good luck to you...speedy healing and hope you regress to the point of not needing a second surgery.
rosecmd

"Over-responder"

Postby ann » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:58 pm

I had my surgery on Jan 4. to correct myopia. I am 45 and used readers prior to Lasik, so I expected to use them after. What I didn't expect was the need for correction to see as far out as 10 feet or so, (anytime I am inside) I was told that I was an "over-responder" and may need an enhancement after 6 months. My local optometrist has given me contacts to use for now (thankfully, I haven't had a problem with dry eyes). Driving has been difficult, esp. at night. It is difficut to read signs. I did ski without any correction for the 1st time in my life and it was wonderful!!! If I could only look out at the horizon all day!!!
I am trying to be patient and stay positive, but it is hard at times!!! Every morning I am hoping to see a change for the better.
ann

Postby rosecmd » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Ann, I agree, the blurry near & mid-range vision can drive you crazy...it took me a full six months to feel like I had normal eyes again. I too, was myopic and used progressive lenses to read prior to lasik. However, my near vision was basically quite good. I don't mind wearing reading glasses to see up close, but I did expect to peer out over the reading glasses and be able to see everything beyond that. Being overcorrected, or an overresponder as you put it, really makes it necessary to wear some kind of corrective lenses to see clearly out to 10 feet or wherever you land, so to speak. Now, at 6 months, I do find my eyes still improving a bit, but feel that they will never get to plano without an enhancement. I do not like being even a bit farsighted. Good luck...
rosecmd

Return to Just Had It