8-week checkup

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

8-week checkup

Postby Quantum » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi,

I had wavefront-optimized LASIK on November, 12th.
Post-op was last week. According to the surgeon, I have 12/10 vision (European system) which is supposed to be very good (10/10 is the best you can get from mother nature).

HOWEVER, in the "real world" I can hardly read anything with my left eye:
it's fluctuating a lot, and gets bad especially after lunchtime.
With the one left eye I have the impression to see double, yet if I concentrate very hard, I can have a fairly sharp vision for several seconds. Also when I press gently on the upper left corner of the eye the vision gets better.

In general objects and text seem smaller then before the surgery -- although my right eye can read very well I still have this impression.
I have cut down on the eyedrops, from 10mL per week to something like 5-6mL, because I have less discomfort in that department and my natural tears are slowly coming back.

The next post-op is in May, but I'm thinking of making an earlier appointment -- maybe something is really wrong with the left eye?
Quantum

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:30 pm

The symptoms you describe indicate a corneal irregularity. This could be astigmatism that was not corrected during surgery, astigmatism that was induced by surgery, or inflammation of the cornea from the wound response. A manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) would give you an eye prescription and help measure the refractive error.

Although your eye may feel appropriately lubricated, it is possible that you are having dry eye problems. This can be checked by your doctor.

You should report these problems to your surgeon and seek a more comprehensive examination. It is still rather early in the healing proces, but more complete answers will undoubtedly give you better peace of mind and a plan of action for the future.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Quantum » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Hmmm, thank you very much for the information.

I have forwarded both mails to my surgeon and explained my concern.
I'll post updates as soon as I get them!!
Quantum

Postby Quantum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Update:

My surgeon contacted me back with the following information (free translation from Dutch):

Dear Sir,
If necessary a second correction will be provided free of charge within 12 months after the initial procedure. This means we have enough time even after the 6 month-evaluation. At this point there is absolutely no issue about a possible second treatment: we should let your body do the job and let things evolve naturally (including the tear film). Although I would be happy to see you at an earlier time (before the 6 month evaluation in May), I believe this is totally unnecessary. I expect further stabilization and improvement the coming weeks.

Kind regards,
Prof. Dr. [...]
Quantum

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:17 pm

This seems a reasonable response. An examination now may provide you greater peace of mind. Reality is seldom as bad as what one can imagine a problem is.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It