severe dry eye

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

severe dry eye

Postby jas3256 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:11 am

I really need some advice I have been dealing with eye pain in my right eye and with inflamation and irritation. I have seen two different eye doctors about this. This has been going on for almost two years. I have not been able to wear my contacts for the past two months because of dry eye problems and pain. I have given up contacts in the past but after getting the ok from my doctor I gave it another shot. I have my eye doctor on speed dail because I have had so much pain lately with the one eye. He gave me something for pain but it hasn't helped. I have also had my tear ducts plugged- didn't help. I use Restasis and every other eye drop I can get my hands on.
My doctor told me to try omega 3/Flaxseed which so far nothing has helped. :( I can't wear contacts and I am not a canidate for epi lasik or any other lasik because the doc said I would need a cornea transplant if I had the surgery. What should I do? Get another opinion?
I want to get the pain under control first but I don't want to be stuck with Glasses forever. Sorry So Long
jas3256

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:29 am

We have a detailed article on dry eye treatment on our sister website that may be helpful. It provides some alternatives that you may not have tried.

Is the pain directly related to dry eyes, or is it something else caused by the dry eyes, such as Superficial Punctate Keratopathy (SPK)? Is the pain immediately relieved with the use of artificial tears? Has the doctor performed both a Shirmer (tear quantity) and tear breakup (tear quality) test? If so, what are the results? If the problem is tear deficiency, is it in the lipid, aqueous, or mucin layer/
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

severe dry eyes

Postby jas3256 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:18 pm

I don't know if the pain is related to dry eye but my doctor seems to think that it is and thats my only problem even when I try to explain that the tears that I use - I have tried everything does not help. So I don't know what to do but go see other doctors.
jas3256

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:44 pm

Restasis is an anti-inflammatory. It reduces swelling around the tiny channels that carry fluids to the eye, opening the channels so more fluid may flow. According to the manufacturer, Restasis does not achieve full effectiveness until about three months use.

The tearing function is a very delicate balance and there are doctors who specialize in dry eye treatment. Call around to optometrists and ask who is the expert in your locality.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It