Low-Light Problems and others - 5 weeks later

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Low-Light Problems and others - 5 weeks later

Postby ronsivilllo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:49 pm

I am now about 5 weeks out of my LASIK -- a couple of problems include:

1. low-light issues -- I do not see well in low light. Just about anything other than natural light is on the dim end. Does this tend to improve; what are my options? Do I wait and "see?" -- This is quite frustrating and the thing that I most worried about!

2. reading -- I am having trouble with reading (did not exist with my glasses). I am 41 y.o. - doc says this is due to the fact theat i am slightly farsighted in left and (more) nearsighted in right. He disclaims that it is "sudden presbyopia."

3. right eye - right eye is undercorrected (for far sight). So I constantly "off" in my sight. What is one to do until either the eyes "stabilizes" or an enhancement. Gets maddening after awile.

Thanks - any input is appreciated.
ronsivilllo

Re: Low-Light Problems and others - 5 weeks later

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:33 pm

ronsivilllo wrote:1. low-light issues -- I do not see well in low light. Just about anything other than natural light is on the dim end. Does this tend to improve; what are my options? Do I wait and "see?" -- This is quite frustrating and the thing that I most worried about!

Even five weeks is somewhat early in the healing stages. Report the low light vision problems to your surgeon, but expect the answer to wait at least three months postop before coming to any conclusions about what to do next.

ronsivilllo wrote:2. reading -- I am having trouble with reading (did not exist with my glasses). I am 41 y.o. - doc says this is due to the fact theat i am slightly farsighted in left and (more) nearsighted in right. He disclaims that it is "sudden presbyopia."

Hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision tends to provide poor vision at all distances. Being slightly myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) in your right eye should provide a little better near vision, but the low-light issues may be contributing to poor near vision. At age 41 it is very likely you have a bit of presbyopia that was not noticed prior to surgery, as in sudden presbyopia.

ronsivilllo wrote:3. right eye - right eye is undercorrected (for far sight).

Actually, this is exactly the opposite. Your right eye is myopic - nearsighted - which means your near vision is better at the cost of distance vision. Your left eye is hyperopic - farsighted - and this likely is providing poor vision at distance and a bit of Lasik eye strain exacerbated by any presbyopia.

ronsivilllo wrote:Gets maddening after awile.

Indeed it does. At your next exam ask your doctor for your eye prescription. It would probably be wise to have both a manifest refraction (which is better one or two?) and a cycloplegic refraction that can indicate what, if any, presbyopia is contributing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It