LASIK retreatment

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

LASIK retreatment

Postby SteveR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi all,

The following describes my experience of a LASIK re-treatment, which I had yesterday. It involved a flap re-lift. One eye only was to be retreated and the target was to be –0.5D. Despite my trepidation at the thought of a flap being relifted, the procedure turned out to be easier going than the original. Not having a suction ring (intralase/femtosecond laser) makes this a walk in the park from a patient’s perspective. [I really didn’t enjoy the suction ring used in the primary procedure and you don’t need it for a retreatment, unless you need a new flap cut].

It went like this: I went for a chat with the surgeon where we discussed a target prescription and went over the procedure. When all is happy, your eyes are numbed with drops and you put your head on the chin rest as you have probably done many times before. The surgeon does his stuff, which includes checking that the flap can be lifted by prising up an edge and etching its circumference. At least I imagine this is what he does. You neither see nor feel anything, all you have to do is sit there mostly oblivious to it, so this part is simple for the patient. Then it’s off to prep for surgery in the anteroom where iodine is put on the face, etc, as with the original surgery. The only device to face (literally) is the one to keep open the eyelids, and this does not hurt or cause discomfort of anything like the magnitude of the suction ring. i.e. not at all. The laser started zapping slightly earlier than I was quite expecting, my having just fixated on the red light, and it was over quite quickly. Just 3 short zaps for me. The surgeon smooths back the flap as with the primary procedure, which again is not uncomfortable.

Then its off for 20 minutes in a waiting room, a quick check-over by the surgeon and you’re done.

Tearing started about 2 hours after the op and lasted for about two hours. This is the period during which you feel stinging in the eyes, and which I thought was of about the same magnitude as the first time around.
SteveR

Postby DryEye » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 pm

How is your dry eye compared to the first time?
Did it start all over again?
Let us know how you are a month or two from now.
DryEye

Postby SteveR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi DryEye,

I'm probably not a great case study for you since I didn’t have a great deal of dry eye issues the first time around, just very occasionally a feeling of an eye lash in the left eye, and that cleared up in a few days/weeks. That is also the eye that was retreated yesterday, the right had no symptoms at all that I was aware of. After retreatment, day 0 and 1 show no symptoms of dry eye as far as I am aware, though I am on the usual drops every two hours, which may (or may not) suppress dry eye symptoms.

All I can add is that I seem to be about where I was before the second surgery regarding a feeling of something in the eye, i.e. nothing at all. And not back to where I was after the first surgery, i.e. where I had very mild symptoms of somthing in the left eye for a short period.
SteveR

Postby bada5150 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 pm

I am just wondering what was your enhancement for? astigmatism? or under correction?
bada5150

Postby SteveR » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 am

bada5150 wrote:I am just wondering what was your enhancement for? astigmatism? or under correction?

I had little or no (regular) astigmatism following the first surgery, I was still just a tad shortsighted. More details:

My prescription 9 months ago (before LASIK) was (–7.00, -8.00) and after the first treatment was (-1.75, -3.25). The target was to be (0.00, -1.25). I decided to have just the most myopic eye retreated, aiming for around –0.50 since I find a little myopia handy, and for sure wanted to avoid long-sightedness. As of today, 1 week later, the retreated eye is around –1.00 so under corrected again, but it’s early days and good enough. If healing is like the first time I will regress as well, but then again less tissue was taken, so who knows. Certainly the usual ablation algorithms don’t seem to fit me, twice. But I did request the surgeon err towards shortsightedness rather than longsightedness since, while he wouldn’t provide error bars, he didn’t sound confident that these were within 0.5D to me.

Symptoms differ slightly from the first time around. While my vision fluctuates as before (being better in the mornings) the fogginess I experienced in the first couple of days following second surgery (not present the first time as far as I recall) returns in the mornings, and is especially noticeable at close distances and as I write here. So I’m keeping an eye on that. I have no other symptoms though. If anything the untreated right eye seems more sensitive than usual.
SteveR

Return to Had It A While Ago