VISX CustomVue Laser or Bausch & Lomb Technolas 217z Las

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

VISX CustomVue Laser or Bausch & Lomb Technolas 217z Las

Postby littlebig » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:33 pm

I went to 2 consultations in Madison WI area. One use VISX CustomVue Laser and another use Bausch & Lomb Technolas 217z Laser. Both of them offer all-laser procedures. Which would be a better laser?

The one use VISX CustomVue Laser is the chain that the famous athlete represented. The surgeon claims to have done 80,000 procedures and was originally from Canada. He seems to be famous and very experienced, but he flies over a few places and you can only see him for about 10 minutes during the surgery. You will never see him pre and post surgery.

The one use Bausch & Lomb Technolas 217z Laser is a local small practice, with 2 surgeons. Each claims to have done 12,000 procedures. One surgeon here has also been a clinical professor at the local university for 30 years, and the other used to be the chairman of a reputable local clinic. Both used to work one year at the chain mentioned above. They also perform other kinds of eye surgeries such as cataract. The surgeons will see you before the surgery and seems to offer more personal care.

I hope to do the surgery soon but don’t know which one is a better choice. The cost is about $4400 for the chain, and the local practice price is $3600($3000 after my insurance discount). But money is not my primary concern when it comes to eyes.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
littlebig

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Unless there is something unusual about your needs, both lasers have about the same probability of a successful outcome.

You should focus more on the quality of the surgeon and the care you will receive preop and postop. You may want to use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to help evaluate a potential Lasik doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby littlebig » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 am

Thank you very much for your reply, Glenn.

I think many people have this question: is it important being able to see the surgeon himself before and after the operation? Or what really matters is just the 10 minutes during the surgery?

If the 10-minute surgery itself is the most important, you probably want to go the most experienced surgeon. But seems to me most of the procedure is handled by computers, especially for all-laser procedures.

If the pre-op and post-op exams are very important, you probably want to find a good surgeon who makes him/her available to each patient, not who is maximizing the number of procedures he/she performs. Experience in ophthalmology other than corrective surgery should also be very valuable in this case.

Anyone has any thoughts on this?
littlebig

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 am

littlebig wrote:...is it important being able to see the surgeon himself before and after the operation? Or what really matters is just the 10 minutes during the surgery?

Everything that will happen during surgery is predicated upon the evaluations, tests, and analysis of your information. Although there are many allied personnel who can do a lot of that preoperative work, it is ultimately the person who is going to aim a laser at your eyes who needs the complete understanding of your situation to make the proper decisions about your treatment.

I think a balance is needed. I am personally uncomfortable with the surgeon reviewing my chart (not me) just before surgery and making decision totally on the work of others. I know it works fine for the majority of patients in Lasik comanagement delivery systems, but you asked for opinions and that is mine.

littlebig wrote:But seems to me most of the procedure is handled by computers, especially for all-laser procedures.

I'm quoting myself from the US News & World Report cover article on Lasik: "There is no amount of technology that can compensate for an inferior surgeon."
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It