PRK 3 Weeks Later

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PRK 3 Weeks Later

Postby JenL623 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:48 pm

I hope someone out there has had a similar experience so I can stop freaking out about this. I had PRK 3 weeks ago. My doc did Lasik on my husband 4 years ago and he has had a great experience - elf eyes I call it. But doc said because of the shape of my eye - PRK was best for me. He also recommended I try monovision because "you're a perfect setup for it". Which made sense to me both to try to not have to wear reading glasses (I'm 45), but also to have one "good eye" if something went wrong - and maybe get the other one done later.

The surgery was non eventful. When I went back in the next day I had swelling that doc said would go away, but he also said my bandage contact was too tight and changed that. Right after, my eye started stinging really bad and light sensitivity got much worse - both of which I was expecting. When I went in five days later to have the bandage removed, I was told there was a center area that hadn't healed but they recommended taking the contact out because that could be irritating it. My vision at that point was about 20/40. When I went back in for another follow up three days later, vision was much worse. Then I started getting double vision about a week later - it's gotten a little better but still bad. The weird thing is that now my corrected eye for distance can see up close but is a total blur for distance. Distance vision gets a little better with my old glasses which doesn't seem like it makes sense.

I'm being told by the docs my eye is fine and that this is normal - but it's been three weeks now and I'm seeing worse than before the surgery and don't seem to see any incremental improvement at all. In the morning, I get about 15 minutes of decent vision out of that eye, but it goes backwards after that. I manage commercial property and move alot of other people's money - so not using the computer is not an option and it's a struggle every day so far. Constantly trying to see and feeling nautious. I'm putting steroids in four times a day and Zymar twice, and I keep putting in refresh tears about every hour, taking vitamin C - doing exaclty what they said to do - but no improvement!!

Any similar experiences/advice? I have names of docs for second opinions but don't want to do this if this is typical - any help out there???
JenL623

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Actually, I had a very similar experience. I had PRK and caused an abrasion to my epithelium (my fault totally and I should have known better). It took quite some time for everything to settle down, much more than would have been expected for normal PRK. Eventually the epithelium did heal and my vision clarity returned.

Being able to see close but not distant could indicate that there is still a little swelling. After you have tapered off the steroids and are using just artificial tears you may see a bit of improvement. You may be slightly undercorrected but while you are healing and using meds it will be impossible to know for sure.

If you did not try monovision in contacts before having monovision surgery, you will be going through that adjustment period as well. Your brain is probably rather confused about the images it is getting and trying to figure out what to do next.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JenL623 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:57 pm

Thank you! When you're talking about an abrasion, was it like rubbing your eyes? Three days after I had the surgery I had fallen asleep on the couch, woke up, and had perfect vision. I'm thinking maybe something happened that night to cause it? I asked if I needed eye guards and they said no -

Also - how long did it take for your vision clarity to return? I'm just trying to figure out how much of this is a brain issue - do you think by continuing to wear my old glasses I'm confusing it more? When you did get your vision back was it all of a sudden?
JenL623

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:13 am

In my case the epithelial abrasion was not due to something as simple as rubbing my eyes. I had toxified my epithelium by overusing a diluted numbing drop. I didn't follow my doctor's instructions (Yes, yes. I said I knew better). When the bandage contact lens was removed, the epithelium was too week and went with it.

If you damage your epithelium, you would know. Your vision would be bad and it would probably really hurt.

In my case it took nearly four months for the epithelium to be healthy again, but my vision had improved at about 10 weeks.

I had monovision correction, but I had been in monovision contacts for months. I had already adjusted before monovision surgery.

Your old glasses no longer provide the correction you need. New lenses in those old frames may be a good idea, or even purchasing an inexpensive pair with your current prescription from a chain store. Whether or not this would provide improvement would depend on your actual refractive error. Whether or not it is worth the cost would depend on the cost and how long new lenses would be of benefit.

You may want to try those inexpensive reading glasses you can find at drug stores to see if you can get a magnification that works for computer distance.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JenL623 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:43 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my posts and reply twice to my questions today - my docs seem to think I should have known about the healing time, etc. I'm sure it was in the paperwork, but I should have gone online before to get the story before going forward. Again - I really appreciate your time.
JenL623

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:19 am

I'm glad to be of service. Now when your friends ask you about refractive surgery, you can tell them to visit us first!
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It