Getting LASIK on Friday Jan 24th

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Getting LASIK on Friday Jan 24th

Postby bviji04 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi guys,

I am scheduled to get a customvu LASIK (VISX) and Intralase on Jan 25th.

My left eye power is -3.25 and right eye is -3.00. No astigmatism. I live in Chicago.

Can someone tell me if this is the best technique to be used for my eyes to get 20/20 vision in the first attempt itself? I was told that I have a thick cornea but a small pupil (which is still>5 mm). Which is the least risky procedure to undergo?

Thanks
bviji04

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:51 pm

"Least risky" surgery is relative. Your refractive error is within the treatable range for all currently FDA approved lasers. Having smaller pupils is a plus.

I always recommend that someone with a low prescription who is considering Lasik also considers the surface ablation techniques like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. These techniques eliminate the Lasik flap. Although Lasik flap complications are relatively low, no possibility of a complication is almost always better than a low probability.

You may want to look at a brief description of vision correction surgery techniques. Discuss all alternatives with your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Chow Yun Fat » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

bviji04,

Out of curiousity, how much is your procedure? I'm in Chicago too and the custom Lasik procedures seem to be $5K.
Chow Yun Fat

Postby bviji04 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi,

The custom lasik is around 5K.

I also forgot to omit that my pupil size in dim light is 5.9 mm and in bright light is 3.3 mm
bviji04

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:54 pm

The full treatment zone for most wavefront-guided lasers is 6.0mm. If you read our article about Lasik pupil size issues you will see that your pupil size is not likely to elevate your risk for night vision problems after surgery.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bviji04 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi,

I did discuss the other option PRK with my surgeon. He doesn't think that it could give me better vision than custmvu + intralse.
The fact that considering other things are equal (as per my doctor), recovery time is longer is pushing me to go for customvu + intralase.

I am still feeling jittery and might still decide not to have it tomorrow :?

Thanks for the answers though. I rally appreciate it.
bviji04

Postby bviji04 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi,

I also wanted to find out what the chances are that my myopia might return back in another couple of years or months?
bviji04

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Lasik regression commonly occurs with corrections of over 6.00 diopters. It is not likely that you would experience regression after the Lasik.

Your eyes will change after Lasik at the same rate that they changed before Lasik, so you can reasonably expect those differences in the years to come.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bviji04 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi guys,

I decided to postpone my surgery. My brother raised a valid concern that we don't know the long term impacts of this surgery. For e.g. how does it affect people when are like 50 and above (30 years after the surgery etc.). Do they have more cataracts or glaucoma or things like that.

Any thoughs on the above would be great?

Thanks
bviji04

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Vision correction surgery has been around in one form or another since the 1950s. If you add lens-based vision correction surgery, it has been around since the 1940s. A lot has been learned in that time.

Laser vision correction surgery has been around just under 20 years, being more widely accepted about 15 years ago. Again, a lot has been learned in that time.

No one knows what changes will occur 30 years after Lasik because no one had Lasik 30 years ago, but the cumulative data from the millions who have had Lasik in the last dozen or so years forms a solid basis that Lasik is medically safe and effective.

Medically safe and effective does not mean perfect. There is always risk in any surgery. If you have an elevated risk of a poor outcome or if you are risk adverse, then stick with glasses or contact lenses. Yes, glasses and contact lenses have an element of risk too, but you do need something to be able to see well.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It