Questions about doctors..

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Questions about doctors..

Postby rayvendawn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:19 am

I am one year and a month post op intralasik and I am writting because of some expirences that I've had with my past ophthalmologist and my current one.
First I should say that I first heard about lasik when I was 10 years old, I had horrible vision which was 20/600. My eye doctor at the time felt sympathy for being so blind at my age, he told me about a doctor in north texas that was the first to have a lasik machine. He told my mother and I all about it and suggested that I should get it when I'm older. Of course he explained about my prescription and how it should stop changing for a couple of years.
I had been waiting this whole time to have it done and it was a miracle surgery for me.
My questions begin here though, before I had lasik I also had an eye doctor that didn't like the idea of lasik at all. She didn't like to talk about it and I was the one that brought it up to her, she was kind of like "well if you HAVE to have it done.. here are the doctors that I like.." and she gave me a few cards. The way she acted towards it put me off. My friend that works at an eye clinic was talking about it one day and he told me that you had to keep going back to have it redone and that it was pointless.
I am now wondering where these ideas come from..
My brother which is older than I am *25* and has a very mild prescription was advised not to have it done was was given the same explanation about enhancements. I also have a cousin that was wowed by my sucess and spoke to his eye doctor about it, his doctor told him that lasik wouldn't even last a year.
I know of course there is truth in this that people have to have enhancements all the time.
I'm wondering if I will also regress over time since my astigmatism and myopia were so strong. Is this a threat that happens to everyone at some point after lasik or can there truly be just one surgery?
rayvendawn

Postby SteveR » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 am

Hi rayvendawn,

There are at least two separate aspects of the question to consider here: Vision changes that would occur naturally regardless of laser treatment, and changes associated with the laser treatment.

Most laser clinics will not treat someone under adult age (e.g. 18 or 21), or where the prescription isn’t stable (i.e. has changed significantly in the recent couple of years) so that helps eliminate many of those whose eyes are changing naturally and unpredictably. Natural vision changes often occur for different reasons in different ways in all stages of life whether or not laser treatment was performed though.

At one-year post-LASIK your eyes have likely stabilised in the mid term, since studies indicate that regressional affects usually occur in the first 6 or 12 months. Middle-term studies (~10 years) indicate that vision remains fairly stable in this time, while longer-term studies (>around 15 years) don’t exist because laser procedures haven’t been around that long.

Nothing much is certain in biology.
SteveR

Postby rayvendawn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks for this information, I would like to be optimistic about my outcome as well as everyone elses. I guess that is all I can do.
I am also hoping my my young age will help with keeping my vision at a constant for longer since I am not currently at risk for presbyopia.
rayvendawn

Return to Had It A While Ago